States of Illinois and Michigan going bankrupt but others are doing well

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, May 23, 2018.

1. zdreg

zdreg

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. JSOP

JSOP

Is this some kind of joke? This article is about Australian cities. WHERE did states of Illinois and Michigan come from??!!

3. %%
    MI will most likely be OK;
    Chicago crooks, well are known to be crooks......Meridith Whitney is her name; spell checker not used.:cool::cool: Some muni bonds are insured; i just hope my car insurance co{Progressive} in HI , USa,does not get fire/lava blasted LOL

4. zdreg

zdreg

I decided to make a comparison between Victoria, which is a province, the equivalent of our States

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I've lived in all three (military family)...Victoria, Illinois and Michigan along with having relatives still economically attached to them...residing in Illinois the longest and Michigan the least.

They are not equivalent...socially, economically, politically, taxes, education and so many other areas including corruption. Heck, the way they manage their armed forces is not the same. :confused:

The one thing they all have in common is the crazy rising property taxes to suck more out of its residences to compensate for the flaws elsewhere. Yet, then again...that can be said about anywhere in Canada or the U.S....some places small increases in property taxes and others astromically huge increases.

Illinois is beating both in the number of departing residences...those seeking to live elsewhere...city, state or country. Michigan and Victoria relies more heavily on tourism and Illinois tourism is more attached to private donations from the wealthy.

Maybe the only commonality I can think about is the dollars spent on sports.

wrbtrader

6. zdreg

zdreg

'please explain with examples. perhaps Illinois and Michigan can learn about good governance from Victoria.

7. zdreg

zdreg

I am interested in how the road was created in Victoria, which leads to budget surpluses and prosperity.

8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It started with politics...specifically from one party to another party in the controlling party in Victoria's politics.

Thus, due to the fact that the state level politics and the U.S. government politics is nothing like political governments in Canada...U.S. states will have an extreme difficult in duplicating politics in Canada and the same vice versa.

Most states in the U.S. have budget shortfalls whie a handful have surpluses. Those states in the U.S. that have surpluses...they achieved such in their state funding, taxes changed party from one year to the next year along with an increase in residents (people moving into the state instead of departing) and their income levels.

wrbtrader