State Income Tax - Is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by cashonly, May 18, 2002.

1. IF YOU ARE FROM A NORTHERN STATE,I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND ORMOND BEACH OR DELAND FLORIDA. THE CLIMATE IS NOT AS TROPICAL (WHICH MAY SEEM TOO DIFFERENT FOR A NORTHERNER ON A YEARLY BASIS) AS SOUTH FLORIDA AND HAS SOME SEASONAL CHANGES WITH LESS HUMIDITY (BUT STILL UNCOMFORTABLE IN SUMMER, FROM MAY TO SEPT). REAL ESTATE PRICES ARE LESS THAN SOUTH FLORIDA. DELAND (ABOUT 30 MILES INLAND BETWEEN DAYTONA BEACH AND ORLANDO) HAS LOTS OF TREES SIMILAR TO NORTHERN STATES. THE BEST WAY TO DO IT IS TO VISIT THE VARIOUS TOWNS IN THE GENERAL AREA AND PICK THE ONE YOU FEEL IS MOST COMFORTABLE TO YOU.

#21     May 19, 2002
  2. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Can anyone tell me about the Austin area?

I understand that Texas has no state income taxes.

What's cost of living like in the Austin area? Property Taxes?

Pros/Cons of the area?

I hear it's hot, but a "dry" heat. I know that when I was in AZ and the temp was 98, it felt like an NC 76.

#22     May 19, 2002
  3. Austin is only slightly less humid than Houston, and just as hot.

Nice town though, and very trendy, especially for Texas.

If you want dry heat, try Midland. I spent 20 years in Midland from 1980 to 1986. Working in the oil fields drilling wells.

#23     May 19, 2002
  4. Power outage is what I am concerned about. Does it happen every month? How long does it usually last? A large UPS for the desktop computer and a notebook on battery power should resolve the problem.

#24     May 20, 2002
  5. Turlo

Turlo

I have been trading from Palm Beach for 2 years.... I have not experienced any outages in that time frame.....

#25     May 20, 2002
  6. Thanks for the info. I am interested in the Palm Beach area, how do you compare West Palm vs. Boca Raton?

#26     May 20, 2002
  7. Turlo

Turlo

they are similar. I prefer West Palm over Boca but it depend on what your looking for. Boca has better night life (very close to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale) Both towns are very much alike.. allot of sun, great beaches, active lifestyle........... I have no regrets

#27     May 20, 2002
  8. LowBone

LowBone

Don't forget about the foot-long COCKROACHES in Florida

#28     May 20, 2002
  9. Bsulli

Bsulli

Dallas in a good place to live. Prop taxes on a 220k house runs 5k a year and the unbearable heat is only a few months of the year, most of the year the weather is pretty pleasant. Any snow or ice stroms and everyone just stays home for the few days it last. No state tax and probably won't ever be because is in the state constitation. Food, elec, gasoline, etc. costs are average to reasonable. East Texas is all Pine Trees and beauty. Hill country around Austin is pretty. Home cost in Austin is very high generally, but Austin traffic is worst than either Houston or Dallas and both of them have bad traffic. Texas women are good on the eyes:D and we have a great statewide bus service. Southwest Air.

My cents worth

Bsulli

#29     May 20, 2002
  10. TraderC

TraderC

Consider a move to NH.

No income and no sales tax.
    Property tax reasonable (1.5% to 2.0%).

Lots of people moving up from MA and NY.

#30     May 20, 2002