Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brandonf, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

When I start up my computer I get this

[​IMG]

Sometimes it wants me to name it programfiles3 or 5 or 2 or whatever, but this is the jist of it. Does anyone know what can be causing this?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. TGregg

TGregg

My guess is that you have a file on the root of your C drive named "Program". I'd rename it and see if that solved your problem.

3. ***The question:
    "james jelke" wrote:
    This didn't happen until recently and I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about it. I'm running
    Win 2000 Pro upgraded from Win NT Workstation on a Dell PC. Whenever anyone logs on now (startup is
    complete) I get an error window titled
    "File Name Warning". There's a yellow triangle at the left with an exclamation point and this text:
    There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:'Program" which could cause certain
    applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem.
    Would you like to rename it now? There's a line below this text with a checkbox "Don't perform this
    check at startup" and two command boxes: Rename and Ignore. The thing is, there's no file at C:\
    named Program and there's no folder except the old standby, Program Files. Any ideas anyone?

TIA,
    Jim Jelke

***The reply:

Check your "Startup" dir or your "Run" keys for some path that needs "" quotes around it.

--
    Regards,

Dave Patrick
    No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Had a friend with similar problem, emailed this to him but no reply as to its accuracy...
    Smitty