Starting/Working for a Hedge Fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ProfitTakgFool, Feb 17, 2008.

1. timcar.....for many, many, many years I tried getting hired on with a trading firm, even a prop shop, and I couldn't get a bite. I'm scratching my head over this because I sent resumes' to firms advertising in the local paper, saying you needed to put 5k in yourself, and nothing. I landed 1 interview with a futures firm who was going to start noobs on the 5 year note and I didn't get the job.

Nowadays, it seems you can hook up with a prop shop if you have a bank account and a pulse. So why couldn't I get hooked on? Dunno. It all worked out in the end because I think I would have washed out at the prop level anyway.

#51     Mar 29, 2008
  2. malice

malice

Great thread PTF.

I'm guessing your's is a 3(c)1 fund?

I'm looking to hopefully open a fund in 13 years (I'm 17 now). I consider myself kinda lucky though, because I'm not going to attend an Ivy, yet still have an internship at a Merger Arb/ Credit Opp/ Event-Driven hedge fund, so definately looking forward to something like that.

It's definately inspiring reading about someone who has made it, thanks again for posting about this. :D

#52     Mar 29, 2008
  3. PTF, are there any advantages to opening a Hedge Fund if you are funding with 100% of your own money?

#53     Mar 30, 2008
  4. ANYONE can start a hedgefund with NO license as long as it is kept below 400k in value. i think this is true. any thoughts,please chime in.

#54     Mar 30, 2008
  5. timcar

timcar

Hey PTF let me throw another question your way that has to do with running a hedge/mutual fund that has me somewhat upset.

What drives you more crazy having to deal with clients or investors in the fund or employees who work for you at your fund?
    I ask since we hired someone new to help me handle the increased research however, she is a recent college grad. who has a liberal arts degree and little business training experience what so ever.

I do great in the conference calls with clients and new investors however with the new person who is suppose to help me its like madding. Thanks

#55     May 28, 2008
  6. amusing marketing ploy thread.

:D :D :D

#56     May 28, 2008
  7. Looks like I've fallen behind on a few questions here.

malice, you don't need to go to Ivy League to be successful in the market. What you probably need most is an incredible drive to be successful. You can be successful in the hedge fund industry in one of two ways -- either become a top shelf chart reader and trader or generate your profits through quantitative and fundamental methods. I learned both but I prefer just reading charts. If you can go Ivy League, or get anything close to that then definitely do it. Every feather you can put in your cap wil help you along the way.

sophiekay

PTF, are there any advantages to opening a Hedge Fund if you are funding with 100% of your own money?----->>>> If you do this is would be considered an incubator fund, which you would use to attract investors down the road. If you don't plan on getting investors on board at a later date I see no advantage to starting a 1 person hedge fund but I'm not an expert in tax issues. Doing an incubator fund is VERY expensive. Instead, I just gave everyone my personal trading results and put a clause in the contract stating the return was unaudited.

Warrior4g
    ANYONE can start a hedgefund with NO license as long as it is kept below 400k in value. i think this is true. any thoughts,please chime in.-------->>> Yes this is true and you must keep it under 15 non-related people as well. You still have to register with the CFTC as "exempt." Pretty funny huh? You have to register with the CFTC that you are exempt from registering. I got a kick out of that. Check out the various sections of rule 4.14, namely 2a.

timcar, I'm a one pony show so I don't have any employees. Perhaps someday. I farm out the accounting and tax and legal so it's just me. I've had mostly good relationships with investors but you will come across some odd ones from time to time. Then there are the ones who want to help you manage the fund by making suggestions here and there. This happens a lot if the market gets tough or you go through some drawdown.

#57     May 28, 2008
  8. Not marketing at all marketsurfer. In fact, if I did that I'd be in direct violation of Blue Sky Laws. I stated in the opening post that this thread is not a recommendation to buy, sell, or sell short any securities of any type, nor is it a solicitation to invest in any partnerships that buy, sell, or sell short any securities of any type. That statement still holds true. I'm not advertising anything here -- just trying to shed some light on how hedge funds operate for anyone who is interested in working for one or starting their own.

#58     May 28, 2008
  9. Freaking awesome thread. But personally I wouldnt even want all of that trouble.

#59     May 28, 2008
  10. ProfitTakingFool, is there anyway the moderator can make this a permanently active, readily available thread? I have noticed several newbies starting new threads asking questions that you have already answered here.

It may be a tremendous help if it was permanently at the top of the Career Forum. Just a suggestion.

#60     May 28, 2008