Starting with $10k

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Ted28, May 2, 2013.

1. 10k is plenty. turn it into 20k in 2 months...then 50k in 6 months. 100k in one year.

If you act like it is really important, how can you lose?

if you do all the right research, how can you lose?

if you study the charts, how can you lose?

NOW go buy 1,000 puts and live like a player.

#11     May 3, 2013
  2. mspkash1

mspkash1

If you actively trade stocks won't they flag you as an active trader if your acct balance is less than 25k and limit you to 4 trades in 5 days or something like that?

ofcourse you can trade the futures with 10k but will be out before you know it.

dont know abt options

#12     May 3, 2013

3. Pattern daytrader rules also apply to options.

Who you think you are? Jesse Livermore?

#13     May 3, 2013
  4. It's how the GURUS talk!!!!

They tell me that if I ONLY make 3 points a day....
    then after x days I am up 10000000%.....and then this and that.

or IF I only make 1 point a day.........

but I am special, so I will make 2 points a day!!!!

soon I will own the world!!!!!!

#14     May 3, 2013
  5. If you have an acct balance below 25k and are running a cash account, as long as you don't break the free rider rule, you can trade as much as you want. If you are on a margin account, with under 25k, you can't break the 3 trades/5 day period rule or your account will get shunted in the same manner as the cash account breaking the free rider rule. If you have over 25k, and you break the 3 trades/5 day period rule, you get classified as a PDT and have new tax rules applied to you specifically.

Options are no different than stock it's just their sales clear overnight vs the three days it takes for stocks.

I run a cash options account and generally cycle 90% of my cash each day (I don't normally hold positions overnight). I have never had my accounts shunted nor am I classified as a Pattern Day Trader by the SEC or IRS since it's a cash account and I can declare it all on a Schedule D (meaning I don't have to pay payroll taxes, just income taxes).

I build books from $500 to $5k when I'm working on new strategies and so I know it's possible to do options trading with just $10k and make a decent living off it. However, to do that, you have to be incredibly nimble, do it full time, and have the a lot of experience. Then again I've never met anyone else who can come close to matching my gains so I'm probably not the best person to listen to (just saying it can be done, not that 99.999% of the people that try can do it).

#15     May 3, 2013
  6. Well $10k is not just enough and it is a very bog amount. If you can trade options successfully then you can make decent income with even $100 and I have seen such traders.

#16     May 5, 2013
  7. southall

southall

I think you only get about 1 year in every 5 where market conditions are good enough to turn 10K into 50K or into 100K (or more).

2008 was such a year, 1999 if you were trading the dot coms.
    The rally from the 2003 lows and 2009 lows. You can call these easy markets.

Otherwise most years you are lucky to make 50% return on your money, so for someone with 10K that is 5K a year in profits at most in most years.
    And that is with an edge and perfect discipline. If you dont have discipline you will lose money.
    Yes you can leverage up and try and make 1000% in hard market conditions but you risk blowing up your account. Which you might be ok with because its only 10K.

Perhaps we get a crash and rally in the next couple of years, perhaps we get another bubble forming at some point, easy markets, problem is no one knows when or where, it could be a long wait.

#17     May 5, 2013
  8. Mtrader

Mtrader

The most important thing is to have a good system.
    If you have one then 10K is more than enough to make big money.
    If you trade 10 K in eminis with a margin of 1500$ per contract, take max 100 contracts, make 1 point every day,pay 7 $ per rt, trade 240 days a year (48 weeks) and reinvest your profit, you will end the first year with about 750 000$.

So the question is not: is 10 K enough?
    The question is: how good is your system?

#18     May 5, 2013
  9. murrica

murrica

[redacted in support of Elite Trader]

#19     May 5, 2013
  10. mspkash1

mspkash1

I am hoping you aren't serious but if you are -

explain how can you trade 100 contracts with $10k and what happens if one trade (out of the trades in 240 days) goes bad - price goes in the opposite way just after you enter?

#20     May 5, 2013