Starting Trading Job this Summer... Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TraderGuy2004, May 4, 2004.

1. I'm a senior engineering major in college and will be starting work for a large, well-known, top trading firm this summer.

In the past 6 months (since I got my job offer), I've been reading the wall street journal, and am so far about halfway through both the the Hull and Natenburg books. Other than what I've learned through that, I honestly know nothing about finance and trading and am a little nervous (although excited) to start work.

Does anyone have any advice about what I can do in the next couple months before I start work? Or tips about what I can do that would make things better for me on the first few months/first year on the job?

Thank you in advance!

2. May I ask which firm? PM me if you'd like

3. I'll be working for Susquehanna International Group (SIG)

are you a derivatives trader?

4. congrats. you are with the best.

:D

5. learn to make a mean cup of coffee and read anything by Ari Kiev(trader psychology). don't take anything personal...traders are rude, abrupt and never subtle in a request to get something done straight away. Good luck!

6. Mecro

Mecro

You're gonna be a gopher for 1-2 years. Gotta put in your dues.

Have a blast. Hope you like writing complex trading models and equations.

7. Wait until someone's back is turned,then make a trade on their behalf.If it works out,take the credit.If it doesn't deny everything.That's the only way your going to get ahead.

8. Ebo

Ebo

Great advice!

Sure way to get fired.

9. Congratz!... Susqeuhanna has an excellant reputation! We hsave several of their former trader here and they are some of the best that have come to us...

rttrader1 -

10. yesguy

yesguy

Tips for the new guy:

1. Read "market wizards" a good starting book.
    A ton of people recomend 'stock operator" as well.
    Be able to share a lesson when someone ask you what you know and what you have read.

2. Work like an animal the first 4 months you are there
    Go above and beyond, it will be worth it in the end

3. Ignore a lot of the crap advice you will get in here
    A lot of the people in here would kill for your job.
    Take it all with a grain of salt

4. Ask the people you are going to work with what you should read.

That is all i can think off so far.
    Good luck.

#10     May 28, 2004