Starting Out W/Excel VBA

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Grew, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Grew

Grew Guest

Ok I need a crash course in VBA for excel. Does anyone have any good Intro books or websites that they would recommend? I would like to start as simple as possible; however i'm a very quick learner so i am hoping that i could have a good grasp of VBA in a couple months. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. jay567

jay567

I learned excel vba with "excel vba programming for dummies".

As for website, you can check out the forums at exceltip.com.

3. Grew

Grew Guest

Sweet I'll pick up that book tomorrow and check it out. Thanks for the websites too.

4. 65Matt

65Matt

5. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

You can look for the article series I did not Excel in 1999, in Futures Magazine. It's a very good primer with a Trading slant. We wrote a system backtester in Excel during this series.

6. Go to www.visualbasicforum.com

That is where I got started. There are a couple of samples, then tons of people to ask questions when you are stuck.

7. rwk

rwk

The best book I have seen is "VBA Developer's Handbook" by Getz and Gilbert. I also have "Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA" by Walkenbach, which is more current than the Getz book.

There is a Excel traders discussion group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xltraders/?yguid=165643948

8. Hi. Is there a way to use Excel's VBA to get last quotes from IB's TWS? I currently use Visual Basic 6.0 to get quotes by using the TWX Active X control in VB and then write it onto my Excel Sheets. I would rather just code in VBA inside Excel to speed things up, but can't figure out a way to get TWS Active X control into my VBA code . Is it even possible? I would rather use Active X than DDE. Thanks