Starting out in the stock market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dreamseller, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I know a lot of you guys deal in stocks and shares, so I thought I'd ask the question here.

I was thinking of getting into the stock market, and I want to start out trading shares with a small amount of money on the British stock market. I was wondering what the best way to start this would be? I have minimal knowledge in this field, so any books or other recommendations would be much appreciated.

I was going to start an online shares portfolio with help from an investor. From what I've heard, you can hire guys online to make a portfolio for you so that you can start trading and get your feet wet whilst learning the business. What's the best way for a guy just starting out to get involved in this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

2. endian675

endian675

I recommend you search EliteTrader for posts by a guy called "40yotrader". He shared an in-depth diary of setting up his trading business (and he did consider it a business, not a hobby) that was both very informative and very interesting.

But to be honest, it sounds like you need to go to your local library/bookshop and pick up a couple of books about what the stock market is. There's a series of books published by the Economist guys that explains things fairly simply.