Starting a trading newsletter/tipster sheet

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by skippyupwood, Oct 4, 2007.

1. I'm 25 and I'm not having much success on getting a full time offer for next year despite being a PhD student at a top university and having done two internships at BB banks. I consider myself a good share picker and I believe that I have a good understanding of commodities/currencies. However, I'm absolutely crap on the telephone and I'm not the life and soul of the party by any means.

I was therefore thinking of starting a weekly financial newsletter/tipster sheet. The idea was that I'd price it around (£15) $30 for a year and hope to get at least a few hundred subscribers and take it from there - possibly move into fund management when I've built up a reputation.

Is this a realistic idea (note: I'm talking about something like The Gartman Letter rather than anything illegal or unethical)?

Any advice would be welcome.

2. ""Any advice would be welcome.""

Couple thoughts. The ideal newsletter would be free and charge the advertisers. It is difficult to develope a following if you wrote for free even more so when you charge. I get the distict impression some guys start a blog hoping to gather some fans then go about the task of selling ad space on their blog. Some newsletters actually pay for info then offer it for free with the return coming from selling ad space. With your education you might try writing for seekingalpha.com, they are a respectable well read site and check the feedback (or tscm,yuk yuk timmay does). The key is e-mail to solicit customers, but this is the toughest nut to crack, the spammers have made it very difficult. Since we are on the subject of e-mails, I'm kinda partial to CTCT they just Ipo'd.