Starting a trading group. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by xbrxx, Oct 21, 2003.

1. hpex1

hpex1

I am interested in either joining or starting a trading group in Los Angeles. If there are any out there already, please let me know.
    I have 10 years experience, consistently profitable, know what I am doing but would rather be trading with a few other people.

As an alternative, I am also willing to mentor one person or two people.

#11     Oct 22, 2003
  2. miami, ex-chicago trader here.....
    used to relish the idea of a trading "group", and tried a few times....mentoring also, belief being that if trading took skill and intellect levels required of say, pilots and surgeons, who operate in teams, why not try to operate in the market arena that way......things worked fine for a bit, and then ego's got in the way.....

....most traders are lone wolves......I guess that is what makes a market.....sure there have been trading groups...Turtles, Tudor Jones...the legendary Russian at shoney.....Soros....but one member of all those groups ran things their way and the others had respect and wisdom enuf to know how to follow.

#12     Oct 22, 2003
  3. hpex1

hpex1

I agree Spyderman, I always believed one is better to trade alone and trade ones own ideas, however trading in a solitary environment has always been a problem for me.

My idea of a trading group is not so much for exchange of ideas but rather exchange of friendship and comradery during the trading day.

I have even considered leasing a space large enough for about 10 traders and subletting workstations, everyone doing there own thing but having a common place to go to as opposed to trading alone at home as most of us are doing.

Any one interested in Los Angeles let me know....

#13     Oct 22, 2003
  4. You might try to assemble online group first to see how compatible you all might be .
    Walter

#14     Oct 22, 2003

5. don is 100% correct about this. i visited a prop office outside of philly-- PA suburbs--- and the negativity was so thick you could cut it with a knife. i don't know how those guys survived in that enviroment. one poor dude even looked like he lived there, surounded with belongings in bags and sleeping. it was SICK !

i have yet to see a "positive" office. i am sure it would be a great place to be !

best,

surfer:)

#15     Oct 22, 2003
  6. You are welcome to visit us here in Vegas (we shoot complainers and whiners).....

Don:D

On a serious note....this is a battle that we had to work through for years. This is one reason that we are taking so many people remote....much better to be home with the dog or cat that actually loves you, than with a group of irritable traders. Smaller (unhappy) offices get smaller....larger (happy) offices get bigger....remotes offer a good compromise for the serious trader. Then you can pick and choose who you would like to have around.

Good trader/managers are a must in any location, whether 5 traders or 150 traders.

Don

#16     Oct 22, 2003
  7. xbrxx

xbrxx

Thanks for everyone responses. I still got a lot of researching to do. It seems at this point, to make it a possible, I need at least 5-6 traders to keep the costs low. Unless, they were to be trading out of my garage. However, I don't think the winters would be such a great trading environment. lol.

xbrxx

#17     Oct 22, 2003
  8. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Don't larger offices (i.e. more traders) also get noisier and have a lot more profanity, broken keyboards, etc.? LOL

I remember when I traded in an office and early on (shortly after we opened) the people in adjoining offices wondered what the hell was going on inside our office with all the noise (and wondered why someone wanted to F$#K Goldman or Merrill or etc. etc.

#18     Oct 22, 2003
  9. hahahhhahhaaaa

#19     Oct 22, 2003
  10. funky

funky

lol, good one

#20     Oct 22, 2003