Starter Account Size for Emini S&P?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by EminitraderDM, Nov 1, 2008.

1. <i>"1 contract per $50k"</i>

Totally meaningless. If you have the developed skills to make money in emini trading, $2,000 initial balance is more than enough. If you lack the developed skills to aptly trade, $1 million initial balance will never go one penny higher.

The only thing that matters is your ability to make money in real time with real money. If you are just starting out to learn the ropes, you will blow out that account or one several times bigger.

One never, ever "learns while they earn". Instead, you will surely "learn while you burn" if starting with real money.

Papertrades and sim come first.

#41     Nov 2, 2008
    #42     Nov 2, 2008
  3. Your plan will not work.

If you need to ask why you have already failed. But I will give you a clue... You do not have the discipline and you are focused on the wrong side of your expectation. It is not about the account size. As someone else alluded, $500 or $500,000, if you can trade, you can trade.

Osorico

#43     Nov 2, 2008
  4. I definatley agree with that.

#44     Nov 2, 2008
  5. Thanks for the reply...im no more enlightened then before you posted. Try explaining the reason for your objection...

#45     Nov 2, 2008
  6. Who's your broker? Because this won't work with IB (currently):

GLOBEX ES E-mini S&P 500 ES - initial:6188, overnight maint: 4950 USD

#46     Nov 2, 2008
  7. There are so many brokers still offering 400 and 500 dollar margins. You guys need to dump the gold digger girlfriends (so to speak) and find some one new.

AMP Futures
    http://www.ampfutures.com/margins_ninjazen.html (just got off the phone with these guys, Emini S&P 500, $400 intraday)

Velocity Futures
    http://www.velocityfutures.com/products_traded.html

#47     Nov 2, 2008
  8. As little as possible. lessons learned from refco, et al should have been learned!

#48     Nov 2, 2008
  9. Maybe, but there are also some brokers/clearing biz's going under. And more to come.

You might get a fraction back after the litigation. Stick with a real broker like IB.

You're welcome.

#49     Nov 2, 2008

10. 100% correct. the only ones who push you to fill the account are the brokers thenselves, the very ones who stand to profit most from your churning--more money, more commissions for them.

wake up!

surf:D

#50     Nov 2, 2008