Started As Stock-Picker,Or Straight To Futures/Daytrading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jonnyy40, Apr 3, 2004.

1. ccasadei

ccasadei

I've been trading stocks for a while and would like to understand/get started with EMinis...

Do I need a special brokerage account?
    Can you recommend any books or web sites?

THanks!

#11     Apr 4, 2004
  2. taigong

taigong

I was just looking at an ad in Futures magazine, which could be of interest to you.

Call 1-800-441-1616 or visit www.rjofutures.com to receive a Free Chicago Merchantile Exchange Trading E-Mini Futures CD. I don't know CD's content but it should be educational. It should be enough to get you started.

As for trading S&P E-Mini, you do need a futures account or if you use IB, you can have a Universal account which allows E-Mini trading as well as stock trading. But you can test waters by trading SPY in a stock account.

As a point of reference, with S&P E-Mini, a point move = $50 and a tick = $12.5.

Good luck!

tc

#12     Apr 4, 2004
  3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Chauvinist???:D :D

#13     Apr 4, 2004
  4. 8 years total.

Gann Analysis >>> Long-term Trading System >>> Prop. Style Discretionary Trading >>> Short-term Trading System (Pue)

Commodity Futures >>> Equity >>> Index Futures

I do and continue to watch and do all... Just order of starting... .... .... Well, I don't watch Gann Stuff these days... .... .... I miss them damn hand-written charts... but I don't feel the urge to update them... :(

#14     Apr 4, 2004
  5. Namecallers!!!!! :p

#15     Apr 4, 2004
  6. Wouldn't your statement below be equivalent to a gambling mentality? Is trading Futures gambling? or just managed risk...or.....playing probabilities?

Is trading luck, fun or something like that...or is it work?

Michael B.

P.S. you do not need to answer....just think and apply to yourself.

P.S.S. Losing and starting over more than once, these last 20 years, has caused me to do some real soul-searching and I am not going to share what sounds good anymore on ET...but instead I will post what I know and have experienced. I really do not care who agrees or not.

#16     Apr 4, 2004
  7. How truly said! And even if you meet all those criteria you can still get beaten to a pulp!

#17     Apr 4, 2004
  8. One chap who's posted is up 50% part-time swing trading and he's asking if he should quit his day job.A sixteen year old kid has doubled his 1k pot swing trading and the next poster is incredulous.That's what I'm talking about.The Iraq war triggered the capitulation sell-off and the start of the bull run.Interest rates here in England have been historically low for a few years now.Money has to go somewhere.When it was scared out of shares - it went into property.I'm just worried about people having the wrong mind set.It's about making money,pure and simple.Look at the big picture always and don't get seduced by dreams of dropping 'I'm a trader, you know' at parties.You won't go to parties,you'll be pouring over charts/books/magazines/CDs for a hundred hours a week.Buy and Hold is a good trading strategy too.

#18     Apr 5, 2004