Start-Up Hedge Fund Question

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rjontrades, May 18, 2004.

1. AC3

AC3

Sorry meant to add that I agree the Managed Accounts does have its limitations on the ramp up of accounts.

#11     May 19, 2004
  2. I should have clarified that you only need a series 3 if you want to trade futures and options (like I do). but its a good thing to have, you should get it anyway, even if you don't need it now, you might want to trade those in the future for your fund.

#12     May 19, 2004
  3. BrianLA

BrianLA

Assuming you can handle fund accounting yourself, 30K is the bare minimum for startup costs. 60-70K is more realistic. Licensing is different from state to state but with the way the hedge fund regulation is going, a Series 65, like CA, will soon be the requirement. If you don't plan to market/advertise your fund, hold yourself out as investment advisor, and have less than a dozen clients, you can argue that you don't need licensing. If you're going to actively trade your own account along side your clients or fund, you better have clear trading/allocation/compliance policies and good lawyers. You'll need them especially when your account is up 200% vs. -30% for the clients.

#13     May 19, 2004
  4. Hate when that happens.

#14     May 19, 2004
  5. ptunic

ptunic

One question-- to protect again reverse engineering, can you hide your trades from your clients and just have TS report to them their equity curve / daily account balances?

Thanks,
    -Taric

#15     May 19, 2004
  6. AC3

AC3

Good question and under that scenario (Managed Accounts) the ans is no ..... I understand your point completely .....

#16     May 19, 2004
  7. yes, you COULD spend $70 K, but you can easily do it for less. Here is a quick breakdown of the costs I have paid:

lawyers fees $7000
    3 Florida company registrations $3000
    NFA $1000
    miscellaneous so far $1000
    offering memorandum materials $1000

running total to date around $13,000

first year audit anticipated cost approx. $15,000

I will do the accounting myself the first year

anticipated first year costs around $30,000 total

the big difference is in legal fees, I got a great job done for $7000, but you can pay MUCH MORE for this if you go to certain places to get the work done

#17     May 19, 2004
  8. BrianLA

BrianLA

I too said it could be done for 30K. Heck, if you use Prepaid Legal Svc. , HR Block, and run the fund out of your apt, you probably can put the whole thing on your Amex. With 500K and 1 customer, the easiest way to generate income without all the hassles is having the customer giving you trading autho. on his acct. and a profit sharing agreement

#18     May 19, 2004
  9. Hi,

I am interested in what makes you confident to take this path of setting up your own hedge fund. Do you have a track record? Do you trade mainly equities or futures/options and do you intend to trade foreign markets or currencies. Also, are you trading a system and is this system automated?

Thanks

#19     May 19, 2004

10. I have a personal trading track record, each trade I have ever made has been documented, but not audited. I trade index futures. I have a set system, but its not automated, I have to enter the trades. The fund will only trade the systems I can scale up sufficiently enough for a fund.

#20     May 19, 2004