Start-Up Hedge Fund - Any advice?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Humble Bunch, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I hope I did not sound discouraging. I just expressed variables people do not consider to be better equipped and prepared.

#11     Oct 8, 2019
  2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I think that because he is registered as a Hedge Fund at this point, this would not apply.

#12     Oct 8, 2019
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Not as simple as all that:
    • Every state has different regs with regard to the number of for-fee clients for which accounts can be traded before registration has to occur.
    • tax implications of fee/status are manifest at the state and at the federal level.
    • tax efficiency directs fees to be expensed from client accounts, rather than paid to the trader through post-tax dollars. (figure a rough 33% gross-up.)
    • as soon as you charge fees, IB must classify you as a professional (with what is really a modest bump in per-month {data} charges).
    • if you charge fees, your tax picture and your clients tax picture is *much* simplified by IB's account architecture. :thumbsup:

Presumably, the accounts/architecture aspects would apply to other brokers that offer them as well, but I have no direct knowledge.

#13     Oct 8, 2019
    pstrusi likes this.