Start-Up Hedge Fund - Any advice?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Humble Bunch, Oct 7, 2019.

1. I just started a hedge fund, and looking for investors to raise capital. I want the Elite family to give me some advice on how to raise capital, any warnings, and the basic understanding of the overall market. I'd love to hear back, ANY opinion is useful.

2. Overnight

Overnight

What is your definition of a hedge fund? That is a start I reckon'.

3. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I would suggest adding AUM very slowly. I have seen traders with great track records, and yet they grew AUM too fast and game over.

dennis86 and emojitrading like this.
  4. Amahrix

Amahrix

Prove to your investors that you have major skin in the game (& I hope you do, at least 50% of your personal net worth, perhaps?).

Prove to your investors that you will have their capital protected against major drawdowns or “drawups” (if short) or against any catastrophic market event(s). In other words, show how you hedge their funds.....

Be honest. Be ethical. Be straightforward. Don’t be a bullsh*tter.

5. gaussian

gaussian

This is quoted a bunch in Market Wizards. One of their biggest regrets is taking on too much too quickly.

MattZ likes this.
  6. advice is that it isn't worth it, change it to a prop firm

7. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I have experience with helping some of my customers to turn into professionals CTAs.

These are the thing that no one shares you with you before you manage capital for others:

1) There is a significant shift in psychology when you trade OPM.
    2) You have to learn how to trading substantial capital in terms of scaling and risk management.
    3) Quite often, those who give you the money manage you, especially during drawdowns.
    4) You need an organized back office for clearing, fees, and statements.

SunTrader and tommcginnis like this.
  8. ETJ

ETJ

Documented performance and you may, if you have the scale or eventually achieve scale, separate the money-raising from the trading.
    Don't let anyone talk you out of your dream.

9. easymon1

easymon1

The 80/20 Rule might be good to keep handy.

10. ZBZB

ZBZB

Use IB friends and family account. You can link 15 accounts and do not have to pay to register as money stays in individual names.

#10     Oct 8, 2019
    dennis86 likes this.