Star Trek lives

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peilthetraveler, Jan 27, 2010.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100127/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_apple

I saw this article and it just reminds me so much of star trek. These new devices are just like in Star trek next generation where they have these types of devices and they use them to get work done.

Its amazing through the years how many devices have popped up on the market because start trek thought it up. Look at cell phones and how Captian Kirk had the first "flip phone" to call his ship. The main view screen was huge and now everyone has big screen TVs. Scientists are working right now on things like transporters (they can transport light from one spot to another right now) and they are working on things like anti-matter and how to store it. So many things have come from the imagination of star trek, and now these iPad tablets.

In star trek they dont use money in the future and what do you know....the government is working on destroying our money as we speak!

No matter who you are or what your beliefs though...you gotta love star trek.

2. Star Trek nerds are slightly better than Star Wars nerds. :cool:

3. Plenty of others ...

Spock always placing those 'plastic square things' into the computer (diskettes)

Uhura had that gizmo in her ear (bluetooth headset)

Tri-Corder (Palm Pilot)

McCoy's Scanner (MRI)

Holodeck (Virtual Reality headsets)

Jordy's Visor (Night Vision Googles)

- Spydertrader

4. I'd love to get Spock's input on TA.:D

Not the reboot one mind you, but the original.

5. I am over 50 and not ashamed to confess my deep admiration for Star Trek. Watched probably every episode.

In my opinion, there is nothing... absolutely nothing impossible if produced and imagined by the human mind.
    It might not exist today or in the near future but make no mistake, if we think of it - it does exist somewhere in time.

6. Star Wars is just a shallow plot with no greater life lessons. Star Trek episodes (particularly TNG) were good at making you think.

7. Isn't the Star Trek future of earth communist......Captain Kirk and Spock were commie pinko's

8. Star Trek had its roots in Science Fiction, so it leveraged ideas and theories of the time and projected them into the future (all in action/adventure wrapper of course).

Star Wars is Space Fantasy (Arthur and Knights of the Roundtable stuff) and the Death Star or Darth Vader was the mechanized Dragon.

Depends on what you're in the mood for.

9. Buzzed

Buzzed

Star Wars was a lesson on how to forgive and how not to protect a space station from enemy attacks.

Star Trek is by far a much more entertaining franchise. I agree it makes you think. Brilliant writing.

10. dcvtss

dcvtss

"If we can re-route engine power through the primary weapons and configure them to Melllvar's frequency, that should overload his electro-quantum structure.

Like putting too much air in a balloon!"

Hope someone gets this reference!

#10     Jan 27, 2010