Stanley Druckenmiller didn’t learn a thing from his epic trading fail — maybe you can

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by truetype, May 16, 2018.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Great Britain would like to tearfully disagree....

#11     May 17, 2018
  2. Maverick1

Maverick1

Ask Japan, where his loss was bigger than his gain on the pound trade...

#12     May 17, 2018
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

#13     May 17, 2018
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Or maybe you misremembered this one?:

" shorting the Japanese yen amid intense monetary easing encouraged by the administration of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in order to jump-start the Japanese economy. With the trade on since November, Soros Fund Management made a reported $1 billion profit to open a year "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/afonte...the-yen-bet-against-bill-ackman/#320e841ec765

Edit: I think I found the one you mentioned:

https://nexchange.com/article/11536

It was in 1987 and they lost 840 million but it was a hedged position, both yen and US indexes. Eventually both sides went against them. But that loss was LESS than the gain from the pound. What happened after that?:

"After unwinding the positions in US and Japanese equity futures, Soros concluded that the dollar was overvalued. In typical Soros style, the Quantum Fund placed a sizeable leveraged bet against the dollar only a few weeks after Black Monday. This time around the trade worked out and value of the dollar fell generating attractive but not overwhelming profits for the Quantum Fund and its investors. By the end of 1987 Soros had erased all of the Black Monday week losses and the fund was back in the black for the year. The Quantum Fund ended 1987 up 13%."

So this is the guy you say can't trade forex? :)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    #14     May 17, 2018
  5. Maverick1

Maverick1

He (maybe in Alchemy of Finance?) or someone close to him admitted that his net currency trading pnl over time was negative

#15     May 17, 2018
  6. Maverick1

Maverick1

Interesting Forbes link, did not know about this:

"The beef with Ackman appeared to have intensified as the year went on, with the head of Pershing Square filing a complaint with regulators against Soros on his Herbalife trade. Soros Fund Management may have broken insider trading rules, Ackman told the SEC; regulators did nothing."

#16     May 17, 2018
  7. themickey

themickey

I get the impression some of these big name hedge fund guys are just cowboys gambling.
    Big money down with resultant big losses.
    How can a trader with such large amounts of trading capital be so apparently undiversified that they take such a hit?
    So one year they make a name for themselves with spectacular winnings, then "crunch" big losses another year. I have no admiration for such ego driven greedy idiots.

#17     May 18, 2018
  8. volpri

volpri

Oh the joys of investing.....ride those losers...weeks..months...years?? Pull out your hair...

I sleep at night. I’m flat, win or lose, by the close of the session.

#18     May 18, 2018
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I find that hard to believe as he’s a big fx trader and he’s earned more dollars for clients than any other hedge fund other than bridgewater (who needed like 10x the aum).

#19     May 18, 2018
  10. Maverick1

Maverick1

by the way, the pound trade was Stan's idea, not his...

#20     May 18, 2018