Stanford MBA vs Berkeley Financial Engineering

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by StocksSniper, Dec 12, 2005.

1. It really wont open any doors that you yourself cant open if you put forth some effort.....

Add up the opportunity costs of a 100K plus per year job and the 60K plus direct costs and you are talking over 300K to do this MBA.

Are you really unable to advance your own career without an MBA ? If true then the MBA will be of no help.

You will get into Stanford if you have the connection and background that they desire: if you dont then you will not be admitted. The admission is as much for their benefit as it is for yours .....

#21     Dec 13, 2005
  2. We'll just have to agree to disagree. My own experience was a vast acceleration of career growth directly related to that piece of paper.

It opened doors to entirely new careers and doubled my salary right out of school. That was before they even tried me out -- and I didn't go to Stanford.

#22     Dec 14, 2005
  3. I think it depends upon what you are doing : If your goal is to work for someone else then the MBA may - or may not - be useful.

On the other hand if you are starting, running, or aquiring busineses then the MBA itself will be of little use - and nearly everything that is taught in business school (even Stanfords) these days can be learned without going and incurring direct and opportunity costs.

#23     Dec 14, 2005
  4. tomcole

tomcole

You need to keep in mind though, that the markets will always be there, but your ability, time etc to get a great education may not.

Get the education, if you can.

#24     Dec 14, 2005
  5. Again, I totally disagree. An MBA is extremely useful for buying businesses -- where business is not a subway franchise. It is also very helpful for fine tuning business processes, raising capital, writing business plans, teaching you what calculations matter, how to do them, and why, etc..

Does it provide you with current best practice? No way. You get that from a job. But it provides you with all the frameworks to get going.

Could you learn it all on your own from books? Probably. But how would you choose which books and what chapters to study?

Part of what you are buying is the professor's expertise and knowledge of cutting edge issues. Another major part of what you are buying is entree into an existing network to help you get going and support you down the road.

etc...

#25     Dec 14, 2005
  6. That logic is a tad circular, don't you think?

#26     Dec 14, 2005
  7. Agreed 100%.
    Very well said.
    And the existing network of Alumni should not be overlooked, either.

#27     Dec 14, 2005
  8. Randek

Randek

Another classic naive quote.

It's not some state college.

Stanford MBA accepts 8% of its applicants.

You obviously don't realize how competitive it is. You keep on making excuses to make yourself feel better.

#28     Dec 14, 2005
  9. thats sounds as if coming from a guy who couldnt cut it.

#29     Dec 14, 2005
  10. bwc

bwc

StocksSniper,

All posts by tomcoles, prt_systems, and ssternlights posts have merit...if you
    take part of their paragraphs and ignore some parts.

Basically, Getting a great education from a solid school like Harvard, Stanford, MIT..
    is invaluable and the *probability* of you getting some good JOB with high salary are
    greater than some non-rep school, or just no MBA. But does this MBA from top notch
    schools guarantee you will stay employed?.. NO.. but the *probability* of finding some
    similar jobs after getting laid off is easier..probability wise.

Remember that some places tend to laid off people who have higher salary and who
    are not that important to the company. So compare that with your situation now where
    if you ,knock on wood, get laid off in this 100k job of your, can you easily find a similar
    job that paid just as well (aka your marketability). ..but remember like I just say MBAs
    get laid off too and also I know one with MBAs from Harvard, yes Harvard, who is
    unemployed for a long while and end up working in some job that a bachelor degree
    will get you in. I also know a few phds, who is working in a job that a bachelors degree
    can get in while other are working temporary as some no-degree-needed job so they
    can get the bills paid. So like prt-systems said, finding a job is not an issue..it's what
    type you get.

Sternlight said that MBA from Stanford or Harvard, etc opens up doors.. that is is true..
    but it is truer what some people didn't know is that going to these top school, you
    end up getting that Harvard or Stanford NETWORK. It is this network that is most valuable
    once you get in. Graduating from these school and you will eventually end up
    getting interviewed from another Harvard grad in those Finance places and thus
    increase their chances of getting the job. But if you don't network with other people in
    Harvard when you're in there, etc, than your edge is not as great. So it's who you know
    from that school. But this applies to everywhere.

So if you plan to climb the corporate ladder, MBA is most likely a necessity. Whether
    you will get up there or not, that is an uncertainty. This uncertainty chance is almost like
    you starting your own business or trading and hitting it big. People say the days of
    going to school, find a good paying job is over. This statement applies to everyone,
    but much more so to people who are NOT going to a top notch school.

But If you want to just make mad money, MBA is not needed. Just ask most of the top
    10 wealthiest people in the world. . Mike Dell, Li Kai Shing, Charles Wang, Bill Gates..
    I know IBM's lou gerstner got an MBA, but he is not as wealthy as Mike Dell. Even
    with an MBA, you might reach a 'dead end' in your career where you say, now what...
    I'm plateauing. So if you ask is MBA good? people say yes, (good for what tho? ego,
    prestige, bratting right?probability of 'success'..hhmm ok). Does it guarantee you to
    become very wealthy, NO. Does it guarantee you to be employed with 100k salary.. no,
    but the probability does increase greatly for it. But remember one thing, if you get an
    MBA and got no job, people will laugh at you behind your back...proofing to them that it
    is pointless.. and also if you don't earn as much either.... because I know many individuals
    personally who has no college degree (just hs) and has networth over 500k. ( a few over
    1.5 mil) ..and over 100k in cash savings....by first working menial jobs for a while, then
    starting businesses. Their passive income exceeds their expense..some of them as much
    as 4:1...so they don't really have to work and they are now just hitting 30 yrs old. I will bet
    that if they ever go against some MBAs head to head in business competition, they will win,
    because of their real world experience, and their witted minds to take advantage of others.
    So if you have their skills and talent, you don't need an MBA to make money. If you want
    climb the corporate ladder and take over a company in which you work, get an MBA.

So my question to you is 100k income, you can start other business parttime (not just trading).
    And if you built a business slowly and built more, I can tell you that it is more addicting and fun
    than going to school to get MBA and come up working in a corporate enivornment with politics.

just my opinion.

#30     Dec 14, 2005