Standing Desks Vs. Treadmill Desks Vs. Dying at My Seat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShortBoca, Jul 1, 2018.

1. manonfire

manonfire

Sitting is the new smoking if you don't work out. Run 20+miles a week, work core and lift. 47 year old brain, 21 year old body is the goal. This should not even be a question at this point in your life.

#11     Jul 2, 2018
  2. comagnum

comagnum

Try using a large Swiss ball. Once I used one for a few weeks I gave away my chairs - my lower back pain vanished after a week on the Swiss ball. I would never again own a chair!

Its great for stretching and makes you use your core a bit - it reverses the damage /torture you get from conventional office chairs.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    #12     Jul 2, 2018
    zdreg likes this.
  3. Bill.C.

Bill.C.

Ive tried a standing desk and it felt really bad for the first 2 days, then I started to really like. Sadly back to sitting now.

#13     Jul 2, 2018
  4. Sig

Sig

How is it on your back? I found the standing desk hard on my lower back after about 20 min, but 20 years flying helicopters might be the culprit there as well.

#14     Jul 2, 2018
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

The research has been inconclusive whether standing/treadmill desks have any benefit at all.

#15     Jul 2, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

1. How about automatizing your strategy?
    2. Hiring someone to execute the trades.
    3. Kneeling chair. It eventually hurt my knees but YMMV.
    4. Lying down position, there are some really comfy ones.
    5. Depending on your style, if you swing trade, just set the target and stop loss and get up and move around.
    6. Buying a really expensive chair. They are good for your back though.
    7. A combination of the above...

#16     Jul 2, 2018
  7. zdreg

zdreg

re: YMMV
    Literally, "Your Mileage May Vary," coming from the small print in (American?) automobile commercials in the 70's and 80's. It has come to mean an acknowledgement that the opinion of the poster may not be shared by everyone.

it is incredible the titbits of Americana you can learn about on ET. YMMV:)

#17     Jul 2, 2018
  8. hmcp

hmcp

9. DaveV

DaveV

I ran across this article by a NY Times journalist that uses a standing desk / treadmill in the office. It includes a link to a treadmill made specifically to go under a standing desk; I didn't know that such a device existed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/...ref=collection/sectioncollection/personaltech

#19     Jul 5, 2018
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

I've used a standing desk in the past...once you're past those 1st few hours of discomfort, it was not too bad. I now want a recumbent desk

[​IMG]

#20     Jul 6, 2018
    Pekelo and birdman like this.