Standard deviation from moving average

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by 3acor, Oct 12, 2019.

1. 3acor

3acor Guest

Hey guys,

How can I calculate a standard deviation from the moving average(origin point).

I don't want to enter a trade where the stock is too far from my MA as I know the move is already extended and I am chasing it.

2. Metamega

Metamega

Google bollinger bands. Should throw a formula at you. Could also check out keltner channels, somewhat similar but uses Average True Range to form bands.

3. drm7

drm7

You've just described Bollinger Bands, one of the most-used technical indicators. They should be pre-loaded on your charting platform. Just throw them on there and adjust the settings (i.e. 20 bar MA with 2 standard dev bands, or 50 bar MA with 2.5 standard dev, etc. etc.)

If you want the gory details, this link should give you a good overview.

https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=technical_indicators:bollinger_bands

remogul92 and andre.salmeron like this.
  4. 3acor

3acor Guest

oh ok I see, thank you!

5. panzerman

panzerman

I also recommend you look into the Fisher Transform by John Ehlers. The transform will "Gaussianize" your data over a given lookback window.

3acor and Real Money like this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

BBs are really smart, just moved to from many years Envelopes.

3acor likes this.
  7. If you apply a linear regression channel to the data it will estimate the standard deviation for the entire data in the channel. This can be compared to the bollinger or keltner style estimates.

3acor likes this.
  8. TommyR

TommyR

you should take log process, then combine the process and take standard deviation about zero for the combination. if you don't take logs it's not ideal (near the origin)

3acor likes this.
  9. Peter8519

Peter8519

I have compiled the daily % change for about 4000 US stocks and AAPL.
    This is the histogram plot. P(0) = 0% to <1%, P(-1) = -1% to < 0% and so forth.

Harry Nezumi and 3acor like this.