Stalin Would Have Been Proud

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, Aug 7, 2012.

1. i guess i got released from aaa alternate reality ignore?

terrified of calling obama out? i heard right wing mouthpieces call him a socalist and a fascist on the same day just yesterday. maybe you guys should use google and explain how one can be both a fascist and a socalist.

#31     Aug 7, 2012
  2. wjk

wjk

Your response to my comments is irrational. I stated fact in the first comment, and played the same card Harry Reid did in the second. Didn’t think that one would go over your head. Guess I was wrong.

#32     Aug 7, 2012
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Obama is NOT "leading" and has no leadership qualities whatsoever.

#33     Aug 7, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

How about your own Free Thinker alternate reality ignore?

#34     Aug 7, 2012
  5. Yannis

Yannis

BS... There's a law that says that you have to be a US citizen, born in the USA, to become president, ie, you've got to prove it if necessary, like McCain did, and Obama was finally forced to do, sort of. There's no such law forcing candidates to show their tax returns, ie, Romney can just tell everybody to go fly a kite, whatever he files is private between him and the IRS, 2+ disclosed years is enough. Whatever he does, the dems will lie about it anyway, so why bother? Let Obama disclose his college transcripts/applications etc if he wants to be open about his affairs first, and then we'll see.

#35     Aug 8, 2012
  6. Yannis

Yannis

Fred Thompson: Harry Reid 'Would Make Joe McCarthy Blush’
    By Greg McDonald

Harry Reid’s wild claim that Mitt Romney hasn’t paid taxes for 10 years reveals the Nevada Democrat to be “the small, little man he is,” his former Senate colleague Fred Thompson has charged.

“Harry Reid is a classic example of the Peter Principle . . . You know, inconsequential and all,” Thompson told Fox News’ Sean Hannity Monday.

“He goes to the Senate floor to announce an anonymous accusation, which would have made Joe McCarthy blush.”

Reid has been at the center of a firestorm since alleging in an interview last Tuesday that he had been told by an investor at Romney’s former company Bain Capital that the GOP presidential challenger had not paid taxes for 10 years. Two days later he made the same accusation on the Senate floor.

Reid offered no proof and would not reveal the name of his source. He even admitted that he did not know whether his accusation was true.

He came under intense fire over the weekend with attacks from both Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham calling him a liar.

Liberal talk show host Jon Stewart called Reid “really, really terrible,” adding, “Here’s a rule of thumb: if you have to follow your claim with the words, ‘I don’t know if that’s true,’ then shut up.”

Romney himself has urged Reid to come up with proof, telling him to “put up or shut up.”

On Tuesday, National Review editor Rich Lowry, also compared Reid to McCarthy, the Wisconsin senator who smeared hundreds as communist sympathizers during the 1950s.

“Old Tail Gunner Joe was deflated at the Army-McCarthy hearings when he was confronted with the famous question, "Have you no sense of decency, sir?" In the case of Harry Reid, it isn't even worth asking,” Lowry said in his Newsmax column.

“Ordinarily, before repeating such a charge publicly, one would want a little proof, especially given that there's no more reason that a Bain investor would be familiar with Mitt Romney's tax returns than a Facebook investor would be familiar with Mark Zuckerberg's,” wrote Lowry.

Harry Reid, though, is liberated from all such mundane evidentiary standards. Not to mention logic. His statements on Romney's tax returns lurch from outlandish premise to completely unconnected conclusion. Listening to Reid try to make an argument is like watching the late besotted journalist Hunter Thompson try to solve a quadratic equation while high on acid.”

To add to Reid’s woes, The Washington Post gave him its highest rating of ‘four Pinocchios” for his claim.

However, political insiders suggest that none of the attacks will make Reid change his ways. He doesn’t have to face election for his Nevada Senate seat until 2016, and is thought likely to retire then. He is also said to relish his role as president Barack Obama’s “attack dog,”

Thompson, a Tennessee Republican, who ran for president in 2008, encouraged Romney “to stay tough” in the face of Reid’s call for him to release more of his tax returns and the negative campaign being waged against him by President Barack Obama.

“I’d tell him to fly a kite,” Thompson advised Romney, suggesting one way to handle Reid.

Thompson is now a full-time actor, most recently seen in the big-screen Hank Williams biography, “The Last Ride.” He is most famous for his role as District Attorney Arthur Branch in the long-running television show “Law & Order,”

He said Romney gains nothing by releasing his taxes. “It’s the only thing where if you do everything that’s right, totally moral, totally legal . . . it still turns out to be a negative when it’s revealed because of somebody’s notion of how much taxes you should have paid, more than what you’re required to pay.”

He called on Romney to “put it aside” and instead “put meat on the bones” in terms of explaining to voters what he intends to do as president to keep America strong and prosperous.

Thompson characterized the president’s negative campaign aimed at portraying Romney as a rich candidate out of touch with the problems confronting most Americans as “personal, mean and vicious.” But he predicted it would end up doing a “tremendous amount of damage” to Obama’s bid for re-election.

“I just don’t think the candidate of hope and change. . . who personifies one thing can turn around and be something else — something exactly opposite without it unsettling the American people,” Thompson said.

#36     Aug 8, 2012
  7. Yannis

Yannis

Reid's Romney Tax Claim an 'Intellectual and Moral Mess'
    By Rich Lowry

There's something liberating about not caring about your reputation, your institution, or the truth.

By those standards, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is a blissfully free man.

The Nevada Democrat maintains that Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years. Reid's charge is an intellectual and moral mess that makes the notorious question "When did you stop beating your wife?" seem rigorous by comparison.

Reid has a super-double-secret source he says is an investor in Bain who called to tell him, "Harry, he didn't pay any taxes for 10 years." Ordinarily, before repeating such a charge publicly, one would want a little proof, especially given that there's no more reason that a Bain investor would be familiar with Mitt Romney's tax returns than a Facebook investor would be familiar with Mark Zuckerberg's.

Harry Reid, though, is liberated from all such mundane evidentiary standards. Not to mention logic. His statements on Romney's tax returns lurch from outlandish premise to completely unconnected conclusion. Listening to Reid try to make an argument is like watching the late besotted journalist Hunter Thompson try to solve a quadratic equation while high on acid.

The only thing that holds together Reid's jumbled case is the vein of idiot malice that runs through the whole rancid thing.

"Now, do I know that that's true?" Reid mused to The Huffington Post about Romney not paying taxes. "Well, I'm not certain." With that bow to epistemological modesty, he proceeded in the next breath to indict Romney yet again: "But obviously he can't release those tax returns. How would it look?"

Reid took his case to the Senate floor, where he concluded a meandering oration, "Let him prove he has paid taxes because he has not." In the twisted world of Harry Reid, if something is not proven false, it must be true. He has all the cool analytic powers of the "birthers" and the "truthers."

"I don't think the burden should be on me," Reid told Nevada reporters about proving his charge. "The burden should be on him. He's the one I've alleged has not paid any taxes." Reid has the judicial instincts of someone who might have enjoyed the legendary witch trials of hundreds of years ago when the accused were thrown into the water — and considered innocent only if they sank.

Reid's alleged sources are ever-shifting. In The Huffington Post interview, it was one knowledgeable investor. On the Senate floor, it was a vague "the word is out." To Nevada reporters, it was "a number of people." Tomorrow it may be the queen of England, and the day after that H&R Block.

Democrats relish the Reid smear. Anything to keep the attention off the economy and on Romney's taxes or some other extraneous matter. Nancy Pelosi says "it is a fact" that someone told Reid that Romney didn't pay taxes. If she's right, all it proves is that Reid is indeed repeating hearsay.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt, working for the re-election of the man who still professes to regret the pettiness of American politics, cheered the Nevadan on: "Sen. Reid rightfully pointed out that Gov. Romney has something to hide."

No, he made a specific, fantastical charge. Reid isn't a blogger, a cable host, or even a Senate backbencher. He's the highest elected Democrat in Congress. But his station doesn't mean anything to him; he's a hack at heart.

Reid's chief of staff, David Krone, shot back at the senator's critics as "cowards" and "henchmen." According to Krone, the Republicans' scorching reaction "shows you how scared they are that Harry Reid was telling the truth." Yet more evidence for the majority leader's files!

Republicans have condemned Reid's unsupported allegations as modern-day McCarthyism. Old Tail Gunner Joe was deflated at the Army-McCarthy hearings when he was confronted with the famous question, "Have you no sense of decency, sir?"

In the case of Harry Reid, it isn't even worth asking.

#37     Aug 8, 2012
  8. Yannis

Yannis

Krauthammer on Harry Reid's McCarthyite Tactics

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d6I9L6cf1M0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:(

#38     Aug 8, 2012
  9. Yannis

Yannis

Karl Rove Talks About Obama's Economic Failure, Reid's Tax Accusation Against Romney

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3-R686Fbs3w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:(

#39     Aug 8, 2012