STABLE media player for windows?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, Apr 6, 2004.

1. hey guys,

thx for the help...i will try both of those...i did use winamp years ago during the mp3 craze...it was kewl.

thx,
    -b

#11     Apr 6, 2004
  2. AOL owns winamp now?

Better store away copies of ver2.81 and 5.0 before they louse up the works in the next release :D

#12     Apr 6, 2004
  3. Real is total crap. Windows Media Player 9 has been working flawlessly for me. No ads or any outbound traffic being generated.

You might check your option settings though - there are options to try to lookup information and download rights management data that you might have active and that's what you're seeing. WMP9 plays just about any media (except maybe a Real-encoded stream).

I also have Roxio software - use the CD/DVD related pieces, but there is a media player included.

If you have the free Realplayer loaded on your machine, make sure it's not starting ANYTHING during system boot anymore - the Real crap pops up ads and messages. Never had anything popup from WMP 9.

Be cautious of WinAmp - a friend's son installed WinAmp and had a lot of problems with adware/spyware - might have been from something else he did, but you might want to exercise caution if you try it.

#13     Apr 6, 2004
  4. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

I agree, Windows media is flawless, being in the music business, we have chosen Windows media to Real.......however, MP3 wave files are how we download my records.......

WINDOWS Media gets my vote, but MP3 files are the best...

#14     Apr 6, 2004
  5. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

Great pointers Archangel.......

#15     Apr 6, 2004
  6. Also note that if you use those pay download services like buymusic.com or walmart.com etc WMP is required to authenticate the license.

#16     Apr 6, 2004
  7. Pabst

Pabst

Wow!! Point by point I agree. Nice!:)

#17     Apr 6, 2004
  8. http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Download the "Mega Codec Pack". This installs almost every codec imaginable, plus uses an older version of Windows Media Player with special codecs to provide substitute for Real Player and Quicktime.

In other words, you'll never need to use the genuine rotten Real Player or Quicktime player.

#18     Apr 18, 2004
  9. Let me ask a related question. Which media players in Windows support "standard & span" to play wide-screen content on 4:3 screens?

By the way Xine in Linux did a much better job than any windows players I know.

#19     Apr 18, 2004
  10. I have this setting in my video card control panel. I can use any software as a player.

#20     Apr 18, 2004