Stable fully automated Macro Strategy

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jmedon, Jun 16, 2017.

1. OP,run a back test on 17-20 years of data and at least 8 markets and come back to us.Then reverse data on some years and do out of sample test and shows with a dot years when this happened.

At least you are real person,I kind of think at your previous employers you did long term testing and validation
    Cracow nice city,been there few times and University of Economics is a good school from what i heard.I know people at PWC who are former graduates

If something is good people will tell you straight away when they see it.

Best of luck and greetings from Budapest.

#11     Jun 18, 2017
  2. Jmedon

Jmedon

On the below portfolio equity since 2007 without leverage, without SL orders so with SL its better results.
    [​IMG]

On the below market results, the sae like above, without leverage and SL orders.

[​IMG]

How you count proportions of specific market in the portfolio?

When I have 8 markets its 12.5% of portfolio per each, but I standarize it by ATR so in real portfolio OIL and XAGUSD have smaller proportions in portfolio.

#12     Jun 18, 2017
    TraDaToR likes this.
  3. Jmedon

Jmedon

When you look at one market there are more drawdowns, but when I have portfolio of markets diversification make results much better.

15 trades in one specific market per year it is not too often but this is calculation without SL order. I think in real trading it will be 20-25 trades per year in one market.

I checked several time results so calculations are fine.
    I am working on "adaptation" / walk forward test of strategy now, so it will be better analysis.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    #13     Jun 18, 2017
  4. Jmedon

Jmedon

More volatile markets have greater draw down but I scale down it use less weight in portfolio.

This is why I started present results in myfxbook and started this thread. We will se how it work in the future.

#14     Jun 18, 2017
  5. Jmedon

Jmedon

Hi Van_der_Voort_4,
    Thanks for a reply,
    I have macroeconomic data since 2007 and intraday market data from IQFeed where historical data starts since 2007-2008 depends on market. Maybe someone know where I can find older macroeconomic data but it must be with hour/minute timestamp without revisions and other updates included in data.

Yes, I made master studies in Cracow University of Economic and will try to start my PhDs studies there.
    Unfortunately it is hard to find "quant" job in Cracow so nobody cares about my passion to build strategies and 10 year of experience in the business.

Regards
    Jakub

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    #15     Jun 18, 2017
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  6. This could be a plus side,being isolated you are forced to think on your own,good for creativity

I will refrain from comments about your strategy,i could be a competition some day.
    Nice to see people from Eastern Europe doing well

Wish you succeed

Best regards

#16     Jun 18, 2017
    Jmedon likes this.
  7. Jmedon

Jmedon

Small update.
    Strategy actually have 17.5% profit.
    In last week made only 1 trade (SL).
    I'm preparing out of sample test to show you more realistic backtest.
    I'll move to UK vps to have better excecution and latency.

#17     Jun 20, 2017
  8. Jmedon

Jmedon

[​IMG]

#18     Jun 20, 2017
  9. Jmedon

Jmedon

Hi All,
    In last week my strategy made new equity high 22% profit from start but unfortunately finished on 13% equity profit.

Actual positions:
    xagusdm.lmx sell 0.3
    xtiusd.lmx sell 0.04
    ws30m.lmx buy 0.3
    gbpusd.lmx sell 0.05
    stoxx50.lmx buy 0.1
    ndx100m.lmx sell 0.1
    usdjpy.lmx sell 0.05
    audusd.lmx buy 0.07

In the next week I will expand my strategy to new markets with new adaptative alghoritm

#19     Jun 25, 2017
  10. Jmedon

Jmedon

Hi All,
    At the end of the month strategy has 5.5% profit after 3 weeks of trading.
    In the monday I will expand my strategy to new 40-50 markets (!) (new currencies, indexes, commodities), so I can tell that my strategy works on near every market.

On the below I show OUT OF SAMPLE test percentage equity of my strategy since 2008 (include crisis) with around 50 markets in portfolio, with cost and stop orders included.

[​IMG]
    On the below you can see maximum drawdown plot. You can see that in the further years maximum drawdown is smaller due to longer period of training data.

[​IMG]
    Last picture is the equity since 2017, you can see stable profits.
    [​IMG]

I will expand my leverage to 1:15-1:20.

I will trade on markets on the below:

Currencies:

AUDCAD
    AUDCHF
    AUDJPY
    AUDUSD
    CHFJPY
    EURCAD
    EURJPY
    EURPLN
    EURTRY
    EURUSD
    GBPCHF
    GBPJPY
    GBPUSD
    NZDCHF
    NZDJPY
    NZDUSD
    TRYJPY
    USDCAD
    USDCHF
    USDDKK
    USDJPY
    USDPLN
    USDSGD
    USDTRY
    XAGUSD
    XAUUSD

Indexes:

LF
    MT
    FRXEUR
    EX
    XG
    @NQ
    @TFS
    @YM
    AEX

Commodities:

@S
    @CC
    QCL
    QGC
    QHG
    QNG
    QPA
    QPL
    QSI
    @DX
    BD

Next steps is to add more and more macroeconomic variables (actually I have 700 macroeconomic variables) and expand it to the new markets.

Do you know best source of historical macroeconomic data ?

#20     Jul 1, 2017