St. Thomas, Virgin Island Traders?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by inflector, Jun 20, 2003.

1. It might be. I'll have to check. :D

#11     Jun 22, 2003

2. Well, in the off chance that it is, let me know if you guys are looking for a middle aged trader who has yet to be profitable on balance. As I’m sure you’ll agree, hiring only profitable traders is rather shortsighted and not very diversified. But you’ll have to hurry, as I’m presently considering several offers including, but not limited to, the one from an upscale car wash. Please don’t ask which one, as I refuse to name-drop.

#12     Jun 22, 2003
  3. md2952

md2952

hello inflector..throwing around the idea of relaocating to st john,do you know if T1 is available in St John,and if there are any prop house in st John or st thomas,,,,heard recently some traders down there ran into some trouble with the edc not sure if is true

#13     Jun 22, 2003
  4. Are there any prop firms there?

#14     Dec 7, 2003
  5. I don't believe that there are any prop firms down here but there are several hedge funds, including Driehaus Capital, James River Capital, GlobalVest, the Prudent Bear and a few others.

MD2952, There was one partnership in particular that ran into trouble with the EDC and IRS because they were selling partnerships to people who didn't live in the Virgin Islands and claimed they did to get tax benefits.

If you actually live here more than any other place and fulfill the terms of your agreement with the EDC, I don't think there is any problem whatsoever.

#15     Dec 8, 2003
  6. chessman

chessman Guest

Curtis,

I really like your turtletradingsoftware website, some good in-depth discussions on trading systems and risk management, not to mention rumors and gossip !

http://www.turtletradingsoftware.com/forum/

Living in St. Thomas do you get island fever once in a while? Ever get tired of all the sun and the surf
    :D

All the best - Chessman

#16     Dec 8, 2003
  7. Chessman, thank you for the good word on our site.

Yes, you do need to get to a city every few months or so. The slow island life takes a bit getting used to if you come from the city.

There are a lot of plusses to living here, however. The weather is great! The taxes are crazy great if you meet the qualifications. Sailing, swimming, scuba diving, kite surfing, wind-surfing, and boating is phenomenal.

You don't really get tired of the sunshine, it rains for a few minutes pretty regularly. You do, however, appreciate the cool weather more as a change a pace when you visit the mainland.

- Curtis

#17     Dec 8, 2003
  8. Curtis -

I am trading in St. Thomas and would like to get together for a drink.

#18     Dec 9, 2003
  9. akhuto

akhuto

inflector,

What qualifications are you refering to?
    You pay only federal income tax there right?

Thanks.

#19     Dec 15, 2003
  10. okwon

okwon

I believe you can get a 90% reduction in your federal income taxes if you meet their qualifications for an EDC. So you're paying like around 3-4% in federal income tax.

#20     Dec 15, 2003