SSF and IB

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by u130747, Oct 29, 2002.

1. def

def Sponsor

You probably already took a futures and equity exam so I guess that's it.

ditto for the risk disclosures.

#11     Oct 31, 2002
  2. I did a few weeks ago - thanks for the fast reply.

#12     Oct 31, 2002
  3. cocobop

cocobop

Could anyone tell me what the equivalent number of shares equals one SSF contract?

TIA
    Cocobop

#13     Nov 3, 2002
  4. 100

#14     Nov 3, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

def,

why would anyone want to put the SSF's into a securities account? Wouldn't that "override" the tax advantages? Or is this just an internal IB bookkeeping thing and not a way that would be looked at by the "outside world", e.g., the IRS?

nitro :confused:

#15     Nov 3, 2002
  6. u130747

u130747

Nitro here is info from Liffe:

http://www.nqlx.com/nqlx/StreamingVideo/ssfvideo9.stm

Look at the transcript. SSF are going to be treated as stock transactions not futures. No tax advantage.

Bert:D :D

#16     Nov 3, 2002
  7. i've said it before and i'll say again - despite that sh!tty uptick rule (which is pointless anyway) what is the point of SSF's?? They apparently aren't cheaper than stocks after all (IB $1/contract vs. $1 per 100sh) and receive no preferential tax treatment.

it seems the only purpose is to skirt the BS rules created by the SEC (PDT & Uptick rule)...

what a bunch of morons we have calling the shots...even if they wanted to revoke the PDT and Uptick rules, keeping harvey out of jail will probably keep them busy for a while..

#17     Nov 3, 2002
  8. "Certainly speculative capital is involved in single stock futures in the world ex-USA already. However, the flexibility for spreading (e.g. pairs trading of two similar stocks against each other) and the simple shorting process for futures means that individuals or institutions, large and small can utilize a vast diversity of strategies to hedge their existing portfolios or future cash flows. Single stock futures provide a whole new diversity and flexibility to the entire equity trading arena which will arguably be more advantageous to non speculators, even though they are very beneficial to speculators too. "

http://www.appliederivatives.com/co...7&IssueID=711149F8-5627-11D5-B9B300D0B73E4707

#18     Nov 3, 2002
  9. A truly moronic article. Clearly the author is not a trader.

Reading his article on pairs trading tells me he comes from a background as an analyst.

And I quote,

"Naturally, until they garner huge volumes nobody can be ultra confident that they will succeed, but given the popularity of options products and other types of equity hybrids such as exchange traded funds, the outlook for single stock futures appears bright."

...Ever try to trade a DIA?? Or an option?? I'd hardly call those products popular. Their illiquidity is derivative of the fact that they never caught on. LOL

#19     Nov 3, 2002
  10. the DIA trades millions a day. Are you saying that ETF's and certain options are not popular? Do you trade?

#20     Nov 3, 2002