Squawk box for trading ES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by allesim, Jul 1, 2002.

1. nick88888

nick88888

Sorry guys, I pasted the wrong thing.

I am trialing realfutures.com (Ben) but after several hours I still cannot understand 90% of his talking.

I worked in the pit for 5 years and I still have no clue what the guy is saying. Sounds like ahorse auction.

#11     Jul 8, 2002
  2. avalanche, i used it today, and it worked well. this was my first day using a squawk box and i found the crowd noise to be helpful. every time the market broke to new lows this morning, the noise would pick up noticeably. meanwhile, on the brief 2-3 point retracements, it was quiet, indicating that the interest was clearly coming in on the sell side with little interest on the buy side. it didn't help me make any money yet, but it was just the first day. plus, i liked knowing what the bid/offer was for the S&P, which of course, is not given out on the data feeds.

#12     Jul 8, 2002
  3. canuck

canuck

Ben is the best, but it takes more than a few hours to get used to him. After a few days you begin to really get what he's talking about.

As for whether or not it's worth it, well that depends on your time frame. If your swing trading, then it's not as important. In fact i see future moves on the charts forming before the big boys start hitting the market

canuck

#13     Jul 8, 2002
  4. Damn maybe I need to reinstall it. I usually use Ben but wanted to check out this one and I've never listened to nasdaq squawk.

I'll try it again tommorow.

Cheers.

#14     Jul 8, 2002
  5. Bsulli

Bsulli

Are you behind a firewall? Either software or hardware. If say like a linksys then you have to open up a couple of ports to get it to work. Frustrated me the first few times I tried it until I got the firewall straighten out.

The IP addresses are examples and should not be used as your own unless they coincide.

Under the Advanced Tab on the Linksys setup, select Forwarding. Service Ports 2094 and 2095 should be entered on separate lines associated with the IP address for your computer that the XSquawk is installed on. (e.g. 192.168.1.2) The port forwarding page looks like this:

Once these changes have been made you should be able to "Receive Broadcast."

#15     Jul 8, 2002
  6. Lancer

Lancer

Avalanche,

I happened to trial XSquawk today (both SP and ND) and it worked perfectly. XSquawk requires that your PC have a static IP address, and if you have a firewall, ports 2094 and 2095 must be opened for the XSquawk servers at 160.79.229.118 and 119. If you use ZoneAlarm, add those server IPs to the Local Zone.

You didn't ask, but I'll post my review here in case anyone else is interested. To use XSquawk, a client "player" must be downloaded from http://www.xsquawk.com. The user registers at the website, and the registration password is used to access the broadcast. There are two different feeds. One for SP and one for ND. At this time, both feeds are no cost.

The SP feed started about 9:15 ET. From 9:15 to open it sounds like the guy is playing solitaire. The background sounds are also very clear. You might hear guys talking about fishing, the market action on Friday, another kind of action on Saturday, etc.

From the open and through the day, you're hearing the continuously updated bid/offer along with mentions of various market participants and other commentary. Anyone's voice around the open mic gets picked up. When price action is volatile, in addition to more excited reporting, you'll hear the increased pitch of the crowd noise in the background. The sound quality of the feed is very good. Nothing is garbled or hard to understand.

As far as usefulness goes, well, it's not for me. It didn't add anything. It's probably safe to say that anyone with charts and any experience already sees what's going on, and doesn't need the audio play-by-play. I found the audio to be just one more layer of market data input adding to the workload. Also, I didn't find all the frantic reporting and pitched crowd noise at key times to be helpful at all. It was distracting. Depending on the user, such auction-fever influences at key times might actually interfere.

So, the squawk box tested great but didn't add anything to the bottom line.

#16     Jul 8, 2002
  7. Has anyone else out there who has been using x-squawk free trial been denied access today. Web site says free trial ending 1st week of Sept. but I can't seem to get in today. Shit!!!!:mad:

#17     Aug 12, 2002
  8. There are different versions. I downloaded one from the merc for emini. It is all computerized based on globex trades. No crowd noise or firms mentioned. The funny thing, it sort of gave you a feel for the market. Got enough going on, don't need more programs running.

#18     Aug 12, 2002
  9. jeffm

jeffm

I also tried the CME's marketsound program a few months back. It is stricly based on ES prices and volume. It has a few selections of voices that it plays for buys and sells, and it adjusts the volume of the voices based on the trade volume. If the bid or ask suddenly increases dramatically, it might throw in a "large seller!" comment. Long story short, its really just the same info you see from your data vendor or broker.

Some people like audio feedback, or even general audio noise, rather than quiet. I dont, so the squawk wasn't to my liking. I don't even like having the TV or radio on while I work. But if you are someone who listens to CNBC already, turn off those drones and give the squawk a try. You can pin up a picture of maria b. That will pretty much equal the entertainment and educational value of cnbc...

#19     Aug 14, 2002
  10. Hi,
    The CME is offering a free SquawkBox on their website...just go to the CME website, and do a search for MarketSound.

#20     Aug 31, 2002