Spyware Software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by kernan, Jul 4, 2003.

1. gms

gms

Yep. Crashes my system too. I was told to defrag then reinstall the latest version. Haven't done so because now my defrag stalls.

Anyway, here's a great free program that constantly updates the latest database of known hijackers/popups/flash miscreants, runs in the background of your browser to stop them before they happen:

www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

And www.adshield.org has a program that allows you to selectively block popups, flash ads and the like.

#11     Jul 7, 2003
  2. kernan

kernan

Interesting. Thanks

#12     Jul 7, 2003
  3. I use the following:

1. ZoneAlarm Pro (as my firewall)
    2. Spybot
    3. Spyblaster

#13     Jul 8, 2003
  4. I've never had a problem with Adaware crashing my system

Runningbear

#14     Jul 9, 2003
  5. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

good comments all.. i like:

zone alarm pro + sygate + tiny (firewalls)

spybot s&d and pestpatrol.com (anti-trojan)

#15     Jul 9, 2003
  6. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

I believed that this happened to me:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Tech&cat=Hackers_and_Crackers

One hotmail account kept on having mailings were not delivered/blocked message, which did not make sense since I did not e-mail anyone. I have report to MSN multiple times. This hacker news make sense.

May be I really need to install Zone Alarm or something. Just do not know how to configure it to enable my streaming quotes, etc.

#16     Jul 13, 2003
  7. Wow, you run 3 s/w firewalls on the same system at the same time? I've always been afraid to try 2 because many have reported that they have conflicts with each other.

What's your experience? Did they all work together right away or did you have to do some major configuring? What's your O/S?

#17     Jul 13, 2003
  8. Has anyone had trouble recently with this new virus/hack attempt that takes advantage of Window's RPC Dcom vulnerabilities?

I got nailed today, it brought down Tradestation and the entire pc four times. First I installed the MSFT security patch and McAfee firewall in addition to McAfee virusscan which I already have, and found that my memory utilization was running at triple normal levels afterward. I spoke with McAfee support and they recommended dropping the MSFT patch. Surprisingly, I found that this brought the memory utilization back to normal and instead I was seeing a new symptom, processor idling at 70-100%. I decided to uninstall both McAfee products, and instead am now running Zone Alarm free in addition to Spybot search and destroy without the MSFT patch. So far, everything looks ok, but what a scare..

Here's my question, between Spybot and ZoneAlarm, do I still need some form of virus protection? McAfee virusscan wouldn't install with ZoneAlarm on the pc. Is ZoneAlarm considered virus protection? I didn't see any products on their site advertised explicitly as virus protection...

#18     Aug 11, 2003
  9. Whamo

Whamo

No, the free version of Zone Alarm is just a software firewall. The Pro version now has virus protection. So to answer your question you need to install anti-virus software ASAP. Did you try installing McAfee w/ Zone Alarm and all other non-vital windows applications / processes shut down? If not, give it a shot.

#19     Aug 11, 2003
  10. I installed the google toolbar which zaps all the pop-ups...not sure that is appropriate for this thread.

Michael B.

#20     Aug 12, 2003