Spyware Software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by kernan, Jul 4, 2003.

1. kernan

kernan

Can anyone reco a good Spyware blocker - preferably free or reasonably priced? Something you have used without problems and find helpful...

2. Ebo

Ebo

3. omcate

omcate

4. I use Ad-aware.

If you get the free version, you'll just need to scan your system
    each day.

If you get the "Plus" version for $26.95, it comes with "Ad-watch" and will watch your system in real time.

5. I was talking to someone who had a problem with Ad-Aware, where it deleted a necessary file and crashed the computer. Have you had any problems/issues, or heard of any?

Thanks in advance.

:D

6. No, I've never had any problems with it. Plus, it makes a back-up
    file after it cleans up, so if something stops working, you can restore everything you deleted.

Some programs won't work without the spyware. I think two of
    them are "Kazaa" and "Download Accelerator".

The site has a nice forum that might answer some of your questions if you're interested.

7. kernan

kernan

Is it necessary to have Spybot or Ad-aware if you already run Zone Alarm? Or, does Zone Alarm take care of it all? Thanks!

8. SpyBot Search & Destroy is free (you can give donation if you want) and won PC Magazine's Editor's Choice. I use it for months now and it's a great great program. Detects spyware, keyloggers, trojans, etc.....

http://security.kolla.de/

Cheers

9. kernan, ZoneAlarm does not stop the spyware software from getting installed on your computer. What it does do is stop that software from communicating over the web. Thats not always enough though, since the spyware can just launch IE browser windows, which would get through. You would still want to check your computer periodically for any Spyware with something like Ad-Aware.

10. I recently ran a scan on my computer using Adaware and I followed it with a scan using Spybot straight after. Spybot picked up a number of items that Adaware did not, none of which were high risk. However given that both of them are free, its worth using both to be sure.

Runningbear

#10     Jul 7, 2003