Spyware found in MB trading Sotware

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by abe, Aug 16, 2006.

1. rhinoaa1

rhinoaa1

Hello SP,

I thought I remembered your handle.

I just had an opportunity to page back through your posts. Please 'DO NOT' bother to respond to my earlier inquiry.

I believe that you are a lost sole.

Thanks, but NO THANKS.

Latter.

Rhinoaa1

#81     Aug 20, 2006
  2. MBT-Steve

MBT-Steve Sponsor

Abe,

The registry entry is in fact from the installation of the Navigator. As GTS correctly explained this is NOT CommonName or Spyware however because it is an undocumented registry entry spyware scanners interrupted as such. This is a MSFT bug which they appear to have fixed in the newer versions of the ATL framework (from VS7 on up).

It has to do with some of our COM sub objects, which are only creatable by MBT, using a certain "OBJECT_ENTRY_NON_CREATEABLE" macro which adds some table entries that cause the ATL COM registration code to purposely not to add certain entries for that object to the registry. Unfortunately, it turns out that it does still add some of what's known as 'Implemented Category' registry entries to a default CLSID_NONE hive, Which is what you see in various spy ware scanners. CLSID_NONE is the registry entry seen {0000000-0000.... }. The 'Implemented Category' entries are what you see under that. They are special categories MBT uses to tell COM that our stuff is safe for scripting and initialization. These entries are important for SDK users so they don't get a security warning when developing their own projects.

In the new version of the ATL libraries which we do not use yet, these type of registry entries are no longer under "Uncategorized". Any program that has been compiled and use ATL macros will have the identical problem. I assure you we will fix this in the future however it would require the reworking of two critical DLL's. It is not an overnight job and as such
    will not be modified for another version or two. Again, allow me to state there is NO Spyware. I do apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

Regards,

Steve

#82     Aug 21, 2006
  3. Advice - spell check.

#83     Aug 21, 2006
  4. There you go folks, shows how the gullible public can be whipped into a witch hunting hysteria! WMD reaching you in 45 minutes, anyone?

Your enemy list: last week's enemy was MBT
    This week's enemy: lightly armed sovereign nations.
    discuss. :(

#84     Aug 21, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg

#85     Aug 21, 2006
  6. zdreg

zdreg

why shouldn't he if he wishes post this type of information on ET?

#86     Aug 21, 2006