Spydertrader's Jack Hershey Equities Trading Journal III

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Spydertrader, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elvis

Elvis

I subscribe to the IBD screen service, Does anyone think StocktTables is better? I'm happy to contribute the IBD info if anyone thinks it is of value (probably mostly the same names anyway).

#21     Jan 1, 2007
  2. The Stocktables.com web site provides a 'ranking' of stocks using EPS and RS. For our purposes, using such a rank allows for an easy sorting and culling process in an effort to locate our "High Quality Stocks." However, one can (if using Qcharts) arrive at a similar place using other available data sources (instead of the Stocktables.com Web Site).

First begin by culling a list (any list) for The Hershey Fundamental Parameters:

Price: $10.00 to $50.00
    Average Volume (65-day): > 200,000
    Float: 5 - 60 Million Shares
    EPS: Positive
    % Insider Owned: > 25%
    % Institutional Owned: > 25%

(For the sake of this example I did not use the 25% Institutional Owned Parameter)

Starting with Stocktables.com (and an 80 EPS, 80 RS Sort) we start with approximately 200 equities. After culling for the above listed parameters, we have around 65 remaining choices to review.

Using the entire stock market to begin our sort, rather than, the 80 EPS and RS starting point, we begin by obtaining a list of all symbols on the AMEX, NASDAQ and NYSE Exchanges. One can obtain a free list at the http://www.eoddata.com/ web site. Going this route, we start with around 7800 symbols. After culling for the above parameters, we finish with nearly 200 equities to review.

We then search for stocks which cycle within each list. The following Lists represent the entire process outlined above including using Wealth-Lab to look for cycling stocks (those with rank). Hotlist I began the process with Stocktables.com web site and Hotlist II began the process with the entire Stock Market (AMEX, NASDAQ and NYSE) using data obtained from the Eoddata.com web site.

Hotlist I

ALY FTEK ININ LQDT OMRI RATE REDF

Hotlist II

COGO FTEK IAAC ININ LQDT OMRI PCCC RATE REDF SIM STEC SYX XING

As you can see, the lists only differ by 6 companies. Using this alternative sorting and culling process (Eoddata.com) may provide additional signals by locating additional cycling stocks - outside the normal 80 EPS and RS parameters.

In an effort for you to choose which method best suites your own needs, I have attached a .zip file containing 2 files. Biglist.csv contains all symbols currently available on all three U.S. Exchanges (as of 12-29-2006), and the Hershey Sort Workspace permits the easy culling of any list if equities (by importing .csv files into the Quotesheet and using the delete key). Whether you choose to continue to use Stocktables.com or the Eoddata.com web site, The Hershey Sort workspace should speed up your culling process.

Happy New Year!

- Spydertrader

#22     Jan 1, 2007
  3. My resolution:
    - Re-read J1 and J2 again!
    - Throw everything out and work on Hershey alone!

What i learnt in 2006:
    - the power of compounding
    - basic scripting in WL
    - there IS a consistent approach to making it

What I still need to be able to do:
    - finding that "aha" moment...

Currently sitting on an SIRF short. Did not FRV EOD when I went long; looks like an FTT

For those of you interested in showing the DU, FRV etc on Wealth-lab, here is the code for it (exactly the same as the recent Spydie script)...

for Bar := 0 to BarCount - 1 do
    begin
    if PriceClose(Bar) > PriceOpen(Bar) then
    SetSeriesBarColor(Bar, #volume, #blue)
    else if PriceClose(Bar) < PriceOpen(Bar) then
    SetSeriesBarColor(Bar, #volume, #Red)
    else
    SetSeriesBarColor(Bar, #volume, #black);
    end;

for Bar := 0 to BarCount - 1 do
    begin
    if (@#volume[Bar] < DUHigh) then
    //SetSeriesBarColor(Bar, #volume, #purple);
    DrawImage( 'DownArrowMagenta', volpane, Bar, curvol * 1.75, false )
    end;

{Average Volume and 20 SMA}
    //PlotSeries( SMASeries( #VOLUME, 65) , volpane, #green, #Thin );
    PlotSeries( SMASeries( #Close, 20 ), 0, 009, #Thick );

{Setting Price Bar Colors}
    SetBarColors( #Green, #Red );

{Expanded Volume Pane}
    hidevolume;
    Plotseries(#volume, volpane, #blue, #thickhist);
    DrawHorzLine ((SMA(mo1, #VOLUME, 65)*0.30), volpane, #black, #Thin);
    DrawHorzLine ((SMA(mo1, #VOLUME, 65)*0.90), volpane, #blue, #Thin);
    DrawHorzLine ((SMA(mo1, #VOLUME, 65)*1.8), volpane, #green, #Thin);
    Drawtext('Volume', volpane, 4, 4, #blue, 009 );

Drawtext('Ave Dry Up = '+FormatFloat('0,0' , AVERAGEDU ) + ' Lower Band = '+FormatFloat('0,0' , DULow ) + ' FRV = '+FormatFloat('0,0' , 3*AVERAGEDU ) + ' Peak = '+FormatFloat('0,0' , 2*(3*AVERAGEDU)), 2, 5, 28, #Blue, 9);

#23     Jan 1, 2007
  4. Gandolph

Gandolph

Spydertrader
    Re: biglist.zip
    I am unable to open HersheyQuote.qsw.
    I wouls love to use a better workspace.
    Any suggestios?
    Thanks
    Don

#24     Jan 1, 2007
  5. Just to double check, you do use QCharts, right? If so make sure you have at least Version 5.1.0.1 of the Program. If all else fails, import the attached .csv into a quotesheet and then save the workspace for future use.

- Spydertrader

#25     Jan 1, 2007
  6. Gandolph

Gandolph

AAh - That's the problem. At the moment I am using Wealth Lab Pro only.
    Thanks for the response. It alleviates the fustration.:)
    Don

#26     Jan 1, 2007
  7. FYI ...

Tuesday January 2, 2007 has been designated as a National Day of Mourning for former President Gerald Ford. As a result, U.S. stock markets will be closed.

- Spydertrader

#27     Jan 1, 2007
  8. An Old Post from Jack which may help some to 'see' the FTT quicker. Note Jack's description of Volume in the post. Note also how Jack describes "Trading Between the FTT's" with equities near the end of the post.

- Spydertrader

#28     Jan 2, 2007
  9. Another Thread where cnms2 uses Jack's Methods "outside the box."

- Spydertrader

#29     Jan 2, 2007
  10. nkhoi

nkhoi

it's a gem, I got a nice glossary, rocket doc, iceberg doc, some rare posts from easyrider, mak's take on guassian, don't know how I missed it the first time :D

#30     Jan 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.