SPY vs Vanguard 500 index fund For IRA

Discussion in 'Trading' started by seasideheights, Jul 16, 2008.

1. SSO doesn't do double the s&p when the market is rising. Check out some chart periods. I was thinking about doing those 2x s&p 500 funds. I figured why not, it'll give me double the upside over the long term. But I've read numerous articles & checked the charts & they just don't perform well.

#11     Jul 19, 2008
  2. depends if you just investing or trading. if you want to get out intraday you want spy but if you going long ...very long...years...then sp500 fund..

#12     Jul 19, 2008
  3. Why the fund over the SPY etf in a tax deferred IRA account?

#13     Jul 21, 2008
  4. No advantage in retirement acct.

The advantage of a fund, like vanguard sp500 fund, there's no transaction fee. SPY etf there's usullay a transaction fee you pay your broker or online broker. I like SPY b/c you can liguidate any time during the day but personally i'm not trading retirement acct's.. If you wanted to liquidate a fund you get the days closing price. Also, you can trade Rydexfunds, liquidate them at an intraday price, and maybe Fund X funds w/ a 2%redemption fee held less than a period of 30days.

Like i said I invest in SP500 fund thru vanguard...no transaction fee's, expenses very low and i'm going long until retirement...if i live that long....

#14     Jul 21, 2008
  5. lindq

lindq

This is precisely why you should go with the fund for a long term holding. You don't want the temptation just to dump SPY, as there will ALWAYS be crisis moments.

#15     Jul 21, 2008
  6. Both vanguard (vfinx) and SPY have very low expense ratios and both are lower than industry standard. I guess you sold all equity postions since we're in a crisis??? Actually, this is the time to add to your postions...i have...

#16     Jul 21, 2008