SPY vrs ES (sub penny) Question

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by MoonlightGraham, Oct 13, 2010.

1. pookie

pookie

I had no idea about that 3rd P! :mad:

And it does not work this way in the futures market?

#11     Oct 19, 2010
  2. chartman

chartman

I took the Series 7 course in the mid-70's from the New York Institue of Finance. Their textbook, Work of the Securities Industry, copyrighted in 1973 has information on order queue in Chapter 7, pages 9-12. The P's are: Priority (time), Parity (ability to fulfill), and Precedence (size).

The best method is to test the market yourself. Go to any ECN that quotes low price stocks, preferably below $1.00 in case you get an execution, and find one that has a couple of pennies spread on the bid/ask and some volume. Place an order for 100 shares at one cent better than the best current bid and see what happens. Normally one of two things will happen. The marketmakers will join your bid with larger sizes or they will move the market away from you. If they join your bid, watch the prints and see how long, if ever, it takes for you to get an execution as long as the bid remains steady.
    There is a possibility of a contingency order that could give an immediate execution but that would be unlikely on low price securities.

#12     Oct 19, 2010
  3. OK, thanks for clarifying!
    Have also done some more digging for myself in relation to NYSE (and have yet to look at the same for NASDAQ):

"NYSE exchange executions are governed by its rules of parity, priority, and precedence. These rules are rules 72, 104, and 108."
    (source http://apps.nyse.com/commdata/pub19...D4F683852574F0004EE1A1/$FILE/NYSE-2008-46.pdf)

Looking at the rules I can now see there will be times when a larger order trumps a smaller one (e.g. round lot can trump odd lot, or an Agency Cross Transaction can get priority), and also other times where an order from a floor broker or designated market maker will get precedence over a public order (which might look like a larger order getting precedence over a smaller one).

Thanks for helping to clarify this for me!

#13     Oct 20, 2010

4. Can anyone else confirm this? Are you saying that if I have a bid at 4:01 for 1000 shares and you have a bid at 4:01 for 100 shares, even though I placed my order after you I will get filled first? I know this happens on some futures exchanges (kinda, its based on equal distribution) but on NYSE? NASDAQ? AMEX? I think you are wrong. There is a Java app on nasdaq website that will show all the nasdaq orders and their point in queue. Anyone else with some info?

#14     Oct 26, 2010
  5. swiftmike99

I had the same doubts (see my post, 4 before yours, and then Chartman’s response), but nobody else stepped up to confirm or deny the assertion (so Chartman may well be correct)...

... So I did some research on my own (see my post, 1 before yours).

I was only able to obtain information for NYSE (from the website); NASDAQ customer “service” (“service” ... that’s a joke!) didn't bother to respond to my inquiry for help or information.

In the case of NYSE, therefore, I learned the following...
    • An odd lot (less than 100 shares) will always be trumped by a round lot (greater than 100 shares), even if the larger order comes later.
    • Agency Cross Transactions (25,000 shares or more by an exchange member for the account of somebody who is not an exchange member) are entitled to priority.

As far as I could see, these were the only two ways that a later, larger order could get in front of an earlier, smaller one at the same price under NYSE’s rules. As I wrote above, how NASDAQ works in these situations, I wasn’t able to find out ...

So, I’m certainly not pretending I’m any expert on this, nor am I asserting that I correctly interpreted what I read; but in the absence of an “expert” stepping in to clarify (perhaps Chartman’s the expert, and all we’re doing is just shooting the messenger!), that’s all I have to go on for now ...

#15     Oct 26, 2010
  6. Adding to cases. A visible 1000 shares will get filled before 100 hidden shares even if 100 posted earlier.

#16     Oct 26, 2010
  7. Aha! Good point!

#17     Oct 26, 2010
  8. pookie

pookie

Visible? Hidden? Could you please explain?

#18     Oct 26, 2010
  9. From Rule 72 ...
    The term "displayed interest" includes that part of an order that is published as, or as part of, the Exchange BBO.

and

Only the portion of setting interest that is or has been published in the Exchange BBO shall be entitled to priority allocation of an execution. That portion of setting interest that is designated as reserve interest and therefore not displayed at the Exchange BBO (or not displayable if it becomes the Exchange BBO) is not eligible for priority allocation of an execution irrespective of the price of such reserve interest or the time it is accepted into Exchange systems.

http://www.nyse.com/Frameset.html?displayPage=http://rules.nyse.com/NYSE/Help/Map/rules-sys77.html

[makes good bedtime reading]

#19     Oct 26, 2010
  10. Which would have less slippage during RTH:
    a) 50,000 share order of SPY
    b) 100 contracts order of ES

thanks,

Walter

#20     Oct 26, 2010