SPY TRIPLE TOP - I just bought some puts.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jackstone54, Apr 7, 2008.

1. sumosam

sumosam

You might be right, to me its not about being right. Its about following your trading plan. VIX seasonality shows 2 more weeks of decline. Time studies state upward correction not over. A down/up sequence to occur. This is what makes a market. I expect increased volatility going into expiration week. Markets tend to rally into expiration week.:cool:

#61     Apr 11, 2008
  2. cd23

cd23

JH posted this turn about 4 months ago on the 31st of DEC.

#62     Apr 11, 2008
  3. Covered a small portion of my overall short ES position at 1335.00 here into the close (50 points in the money looking for major target of 1285). Rotation down has continued to play out and in a down market any news release can cause days like this.

#63     Apr 11, 2008
  4. Cutten

Cutten

Having a stop on an options position makes no sense IMO, especially having such a close stop that *intraday* noise can take it out. The whole point of buying options is you get the ability to sit through noise, in exchange for paying premium. Just put in as much money as you are prepared to risk on the particular trade, then hold to expiry or until the market gives a clear signal in the opposite direction.

Options are not futures and should not be traded as such.

#64     Apr 11, 2008

5. I do not agree. I trade NDX options and use stops. I was in calls for a short amount of time today before my 12% stop was hit. I lost a little but if I had held on I would have lost a lot.

#65     Apr 11, 2008
  6. I can see using stops when trading options in certain conditions. However, you have to set them far enough back so you can handle minor retracements that are not signals of a change in direction regardless of the instrument you trade.

#66     Apr 13, 2008