SPY Single Leg (Somewhat OTM, and ATM) Option Volume While Trend Chasing

Discussion in 'Options' started by Hybr1d88, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Hybr1d88

Hybr1d88

I have made two threads about this already and I have dug into the options time and sales on the Thinkorswim platform however I cannot discern exactly how long it would take to fill a long call or put order(single leg) if purchased at the ask AND in excess of $150,000, and also vise versa if you place the sell at the bid. The spreads are so tight on SPY weeklies that it seems to only be 1c nearly all the time anyway.

Are fills still instant/within seconds(if placed at ask) despite the extremely large trade size?

What would the limit be if I was looking to enter within a 1-2 minute window and then exit within a 1-2 window, given I was opening at the ask and closing at the bid everytime?

(Please note my strategy here involves holding anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours so I'm not scalping. Namely looking at options that are anywhere from 2 days to 5 days until expiration. Usually cost around $30-$50 per contract. Baring in mind I'm trend chasing as well which may hamper my ability to enter but I figure if I place an order at ask it should get filled quick, no?)

Edit:

Also is it easier or more difficult to enter into a trend in the direction in the trend?

I would imagine it's harder, however if entering at the ask it would still fill quickly/instantly, no?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. CyJackX

CyJackX

SPY options have high liquidity, thousands on the DOM. I see no reason why your market orders couldn't fill instantly with depth to spare.

Traders must often choose between waiting for a better fill or jumping for the quicker fill. The former usually works just fine, but then again, I'm not trying to fill thousands of contracts.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Hybr1d88,

Why don't you email me your contact information and set up a time to talk today. I'll answer all your questions in a way that might be more helpful after I get more information.

Bob