SPY/QQQ transactions on NASDAQ

Discussion in 'Trading' started by saschabr, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Guys, I want to point out that the T&S I listed do EXCLUDE any ticks by ARCA and ISLD (CINNC.).

These are executions reported by Nasdaq Market Data Dissemination services.

I would strongly suggest that the blocks over 100k are pre-arranged trades, that's why I ask if anyone knows who trades these.

I also assume the smaller trades are these of small ECN's like TRAC or GRCX (or whatever it spelled...)

#11     Apr 1, 2004
  2. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

Agreed.

#12     Apr 1, 2004
  3. I am unsure about BRUT since many providers show it already as BostonStock or BSE

#13     Apr 1, 2004
  4. Ebo

Ebo

PLEASE tell me you are kidding.
    The volume of QQQ is 93 Million shares.
    Even a "Block" of 250K shares is considered nothing in the Q's.
    We are talking about 9 Million Dollars. That is roughly 300 NQ E-minis. Hedge funds move in and out of 1 Million Q's in seconds.
    You are dissecting the tape for what interest now?
    Concentrate on a block that goes on under the BID or through the offering when you are tape reading.

#14     Apr 1, 2004
  5. Ebo, first, we talk about SPIDERS here.
    Secondly, the T&S at page one show prints of 500k. That equals to 1000 E-Mini contracts. And that _IS_ _SIZE_

I could have looked up another T&S, there are even 7-digit prints.

#15     Apr 1, 2004
  6. Ebo

Ebo

You are SIZE!

#16     Apr 1, 2004
  7. Ok, to finish up this stuff, here a list of ECN's that probably still show up as Nasdaq:

Bloomberg(BTrade)
    Attain
    GlobeNet
    TRAC
    Nextrade
    (Schwab's ECN ?)

Needless to say that except Bloomberg these have zero ("0") liquidity :)

#17     Apr 1, 2004
  8. Ebo

Ebo

Are you writing a term paper?

#18     Apr 1, 2004
  9. I have a buddy that is a former equity derivatives trader at a well known investment bank that retired at the age of 34 and started his own ETF trading firm.

Besides doing all sorts of volatility plays and ETF arbitrage, his company also acts as an executing broker in the QQQ's and SPY's on the AMEX. I would venture to guess that what you are seeing are "prints" that are being put up on the "tape" even though they have been already executed. As you can imagine, if my buddy can get the order flow, he'll try and put up a "print" and then unwind the other side of the order for a penny or two in his favor via other ECN's.

Just my 2 cents.

#19     Apr 1, 2004