SPY intraday timing question

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by jgiasi, Jul 6, 2009.

1. This is simply ignorance characteristic of retail traders.

on the other hand Jennie, you are asking someone to give you an edge and that is of itself rather amusing.

Hard to tell which of you is the funnier comedian.

The times when a participant can "count on" a move of .2 in spy include

1. program executions
    2. opening range
    3. events/news releases
    4. the close

To give you some perspective on the problem, in my office there are people who specialize in each of these areas. They spend countless hours testing and refining methods to determine how best to take advantage of these time frames.

My advice is to pick an area from the list above, and educate yourself until you find an edge of your own to trade.

If I were to venture an opinion, I would suggest starting by learning about the close, and how participants use various order types to establish or close out positions at that time.

Best of luck to you

#11     Jul 13, 2009
  2. Try to understand the question. She isn't just looking for the move. she obviously wants to know if the direction can be predicted also at a certain time of day. And the answer is NO. I have seen enough TOD analysis that you cannot just say "gee, at 10:07 every day, you can count on an upsurge of the above requested amplitude.

Regardless of what your people "specialize" in, people with a lot more horsepower than you have have gone over the day with a fine tooth comb, published, republished, etc.

I did a huge amount of research on this kind of stuff starting over 20 years ago, as well as tens of thousands of other traders.

There used to be day of week, time of day, but these have been hammered and morphed so that you cannot just have mindless edges based on the time of day, without a significant amount of sleuthing to the market's price action.

Sorry for your misunderstanding.

#12     Jul 13, 2009