Spy Drone

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Nov 14, 2007.

1. That is the question of the century. It seems to be a dying and dead movement in every country which will prove to be very significant politically and economically...

#21     Nov 24, 2007
  2. Hey TT2, aside from your civil liberties being trampled on a daily basis by The Man i.e. having vans and minidrones following you everywhere you go and you being picked up by the domestic arm of Blackwater and waterboarded because you're an idiot, is there anything you like about living in the West? Or is Toronto just a great big cesspool of capitalist oppression that will, someday, be brought into the warm healing embrace of the coming Caliphate?

#22     Nov 25, 2007
  3. Thats so unfair, given Americans have long protested, in fact fought over any association with the most muslim hating country in the world;

Russia:D

#23     Nov 25, 2007
  4. woo hoo, just like in Iraq!! yah freedumb.

---------------------------------

High-Tech Drones Joining Miami Police Force

Local 10
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007

MIAMI -- The Miami-Dade police department will begin experimenting with high-tech drones as law enforcement tools beginning next year.

Although the military has been using unmanned aircraft systems for years, this will be the first time they are used in law enforcement.

"We are aware it is a great responsibility. The FAA is looking at us to see if we can professionally manage this program," said Lt. Cliff Nelson of the police department's aviation unit.

The flying camera is called a Micro Air Vehicle made by Honeywell. The MAV is remote controlled, unarmed and unmanned and can soar over 10,000 feet.

Miami-Dade police said only licensed pilots with the aviation unit will operate the devices because the airspace in the county is so busy.

Only the Miami-Dade police department and the Houston police department were given permission by the FAA to experiment with the drones.

"The capability of the unit is phenomenal," said Miami-Dade Detective Juan Villalba.

The unmanned aircraft will be used during SWAT team and tactical operations, especially when officers need video of a heavily armed suspect.

The Miami-Dade police department has not yet taken possession on its drone, but the Houston police department has and is already conducting tests.

Miami-Dade hopes to use grant money to pay for the MAV. Officials said the units are pricey. Depending on the complexity of the system, they can cost several thousand dollars to more than a million

#24     Nov 29, 2007
  5. That does it! I'm moving to Costa Rica!

#25     Nov 29, 2007
  6. Wheeeeeeeee, just like in Iraq. I feel so free.

----------------------------------------------------

Police seek a new eye in the sky

Ryan Lillis
    Sacramento Bee
    Thursday December 6, 2007

The Sacramento Police Department is developing an unmanned aircraft to conduct video surveillance at crime scenes and other emergencies, joining a wave of law enforcement agencies across the country hoping to use so-called aerial drones similar to those used by the military.

Such efforts have sparked concerns by civil libertarians who fear police may violate citizens' privacy with such technology.

But the Police Department says such concerns are unfounded and that it has begun applying for Federal Aviation Administration approval to operate its Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, or UAV, by next summer.

The aircraft, along with other new technology being used by the department, will be unveiled today at a press conference.

"It's mind-boggling when we start brainstorming of how we can use it," Police Chief Albert Nájera said.

The Police Department has been developing the project for the past six months, constructing a prototype and working on the technology that will link video and infrared images taken by the drone to officers on the ground and in helicopters. The department said it already has much of the technology in place to broadcast the images and that the project's start-up costs are minimal.

The FAA said it has seen an increase in the number of law enforcement agencies across the country interested in using unmanned drones, but so far only police departments in Houston and Miami have begun testing the technology.

Full article here.

#26     Dec 6, 2007
  7. Houston and miami?
    But texas and florida have nothing in common at all.

#27     Dec 7, 2007
  8. I'm telling you: you won't be able to scratch your nuts or pick your nose without it showing up in some substation somewhere...

#28     Dec 7, 2007
  9. i'm telling you, who cares? you can't stop it, it's inevitable. you got gps, you got miniature vid cams embedded in your cell, you got satellites that can see a gnat's penis from 30, 000 miles .. so what can you do except roll wit it :|

#29     Dec 7, 2007
  10. I think there's still hope for decent civil liberties in our country - at least until the first major terrorist event or two. I sound doomsday, but I'm hoping that there will be a general outcry.

Of course, Americans any more just say, "Do whatever you want. Just don't screw with my cable or 54" flat screen..."

#30     Dec 7, 2007