SPY and S and P index price differences

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bob2007, Oct 19, 2020.

1. bob2007

bob2007

Right now spy is - 1.06% and the S and P is -1.63% (cnbc.com).

WHY is there a price difference between the two?

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

spx closes at 4pm. Spy does bot

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

The S&P is an index, like the Dow; so what you see is today's close on it.

SPY is an ETF, it trades until 8PM EST like a stock.

Edit.. opps, just saw Newurlmans answer.

4. jharmon

jharmon

Further differences include dividend schedules, management fees (not necessarily applicable to this data point)

bob2007 likes this.
  5. BMK

BMK

It's called tracking error. There are discussions of it at Investopedia and Wikipedia.

BMK

bob2007 likes this.
  6. Sig

Sig

That's not tracking error, SPY is one of the most liquid financial instruments in the world and the tracking error is pretty much zero.

7. BMK

BMK

I thought any difference between the price of an ETF and the index that it tracks could be considered tracking error.

The prospectus for SPY uses the term tracking risk, which to me means the risk that the ETF will fail to accurately track the index. Here's what it says:

Index Tracking Risk. While the Trust is intended to track the performance of the
    Index as closely as possible (i.e., to achieve a high degree of correlation with the
    Index), the Trust’s return may not match or achieve a high degree of correlation with
    the return of the Index due to expenses and transaction costs incurred in adjusting the
    Portfolio.

BMK

JSOP likes this.
  8. JSOP

JSOP

i.e. SPY is only an as close as an approximate value of SPX. Like some has mentioned before, SPY is NOT an index; it's an ETF i.e. a financial instrument that has its own market whereas SPX is an index that's a basket of weighted average of the companies that it's comprised of.

9. Sig

Sig

That is all true, but that particular security is so heavily traded by institutional players who can take advantage of the risk free arb with creation units that tracking error would only get above half a percent in some pretty extreme circumstances. In fact the average daily tracking error for SPY is less than .01%(https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4228511-leveraged-etf-tracking-error) so .6% would be more than an order of magnitude greater than the average tracking error. In the OPs case it appears they were looking at a stale quote, either because SPY had stopped trading for the day or for some other reason both quotes weren't from the same instant in time.

bob2007 likes this.
  10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

SPY is what I follow the most bc as an ETF it trades premkt. Of course it's premkt value will differ from yesterday's closing S&P value

#10     Oct 21, 2020