SPX VS SPY Weeklys

Discussion in 'Options' started by Cdntrader, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Ammo--good point. That is why I said you need to price compare and see if it is worthwhile. Now for my question: can you fill 500 spreads on SPY easily for 0.01 off the mid?? If you can, you could take off SPX risk (more or less- see my previous post) with an SPY trade if necessary.

For the SPX, I have found the fills for 5 contract spreads (verticals, condors or butterflies) are the best for price and the efficiency of reasonably quick fills. Unfortunately if you want to do volume, that often means multiple orders and waits between the orders. I have also noticed that if you repeat an order for a 5 lot many times the price will start to creep upward. It is especially bad during expiry week, and nasty on the last day. I try to avoid trading during that time, taking profits and rolling into the next month during the previous week, if at all reasonable.

I'm looking for electronic trading, too, and hope that more liquidity and traders will narrow the spreads and improve our ability to cross trades more quickly at a fair price. I don't really mind giving up 5 cents for slippage on each trade. That seems pretty reasonable considering the risk that market makers carry. Hopefully, everyone will see it that way and make the process almost automatic and allow 50 lot trades with speed and efficiency.

#11     Mar 27, 2011
  2. ammo

ammo

you are right about size,you have to be right and leg in and start getting out before reaching anticipated target,leaving an exit sprd if your lucky,to whitttle down ,buying the apr 1300 1230 put sprd for $10 -11 pays off a lot better than the spy 130/123 put sprd

#12     Mar 27, 2011
  3. hajimow

hajimow

SPX weekly options are PM settled.

#13     Apr 13, 2012
  4. ES I've found will very often trade at or below the mid a surprising amount of the time. A few times I've made money just by opening a trade up at one point and closing it a little while later, at below and above the mid. Strange, but true. I figure it had to be accidents of circumstance, it just can't be anything that would sustain. But it has happened to me.

#14     Apr 13, 2012
  5. Thanks for your post. You mention SPX is european style. I could not confirm that anywhere. Please give more details. Thanks

#15     Apr 14, 2012
  6. Lornz

Lornz

#16     Apr 14, 2012
  7. hajimow

hajimow

3 points:

1-SPX options are definitely not as liquid as SPY ones. Check the last trades on SPX options and compare them with SPY ones. SPY options are traded to the last second but last SPX options trades are sometimes 2 hours old.

2- In case market goes against you and a liquidation is immiment, you will get liquidated on at least 1 SPY option which is equal to 10 SPY option. Although in reality only 1/10 of that liquidation might have been enough.

3- With SPY options , you can micro manage your position much better (like delta neutral strategies).

#17     Apr 14, 2012
  8. I'm still trading the SPY Weeklys exclusively. The SPX weeklys just aren't attracting the volume and tight spreads that the SPY has.

A real shame. Commission wise it would save me a ton.:mad:

They should offer some short term incentives to get people moved over.

#18     Apr 14, 2012
  9. FSU

FSU

This is not what I noticed. I mainly trade the SPX weeklies. Option prices under 3 are between .10 and .20 wide (equal to .01 and .02 on SPY) Higher priced options are usually between .20 and .40 wide. Can't get much tighter than that. Their electronic platform gives instant fills as well (unlike SPX options). The only problem is expiration week when there are no weeklies just the standard extra wide SPX options.

#19     Apr 14, 2012
  10. under 3?thats like .30 ct SPY options. I usually trade ATM , so between 8 and 20 buck options on the SPX lets say. The spreads and liquidty there don't measure up.

D0 you trade way OTM? or 2 hrs before expiry fridays?:)

#20     Apr 14, 2012