SPX options

Discussion in 'Options' started by indahook, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Until another institution decides to take the offer three more levels, with the stock unchanged. Then, said mm is no longer happy.

#11     Jul 10, 2007
  2. I have been exclusively daytrading SPX options for years (quietly for the most part :) ).

I would agree with you that its only worth paying the spread at very select times- these occasions vary depending on your time frame and motivations to enter or exit.

Further I share your hope for CBOEs ongoing monopoly. Efficiency in markets is WAY WAY overrated.

#12     Jul 10, 2007
  3. I am talking about when retail traders lift offers of mm's. They have no worries, any big institutional order is going to be shopped all over they wont just lift the crowd.

#13     Jul 10, 2007
  4. opt789

opt789

It was really fun in illiquid stocks when the institutional order did pay your offer. I remember it well, the broker walks into the pit asks for a market, you yell it out, he says buy 'em the crowd says sold, then you look at the stock and miraculously it is no longer there.

#14     Jul 10, 2007
  5. Bro, I remember us being in the room with JC and you saying "I'm going to offer 1500 calls" and boom a 1500 lot would appear on my screen out of no where. You were much of the volume in those days....

#15     Jul 10, 2007
  6. lol, even better when JC would slip and mention some obscure ticker he was looking to unload. He would dare me to offer 500k at 18 and then beg me to lift the order when it hit the book. Good times...

#16     Jul 10, 2007
  7. opt789

opt789

When I was running OPM we would routinely trade over 100k contracts a month and we worked the Amex against the CBOE to get reasonable fills. When we looked into futures options we simply could not get the level of service or market we wanted so I am probably biased. But this was a few years ago, Atticus was kind enough to let me know things are much better now. How long will you be around this website Atticus before you just buy your own island and retire?

#17     Jul 10, 2007
  8. Hopefully before I blowout. So far, so good. I should have qualified my last with, "You obviously haven't trade ES options lately".

#18     Jul 10, 2007
  9. With portfolio margin, I prefer SPX & OEX over ES. The spreads are narrower and commission are indeed much lower. But ever since IB put their restrictions on PM, I've traded SPX less.

#19     Jul 10, 2007
  10. That Jesus was a hellofa trader.

#20     Jul 10, 2007