spurious returned emails

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jan 20, 2003.

1. The last couple of weeks I have received in my email three or four purported "returned to sender" messages. Only problem is I never sent them in the first place. The addressees were typical bogus spam type stuff. They were not in my sent folder either. Each of these returns had an attached file that supposedly was the original message that was being returned. I'm no expert but I knew enough not to open those attachments. Any ideas what this is?

2. If the spammer just put "return to sender" in the subject line, then there is little you can do. If they spoofed your email address so that it really looks like you are getting a returned e-mail, then you should talk to you ISP. Your ISP might have a security problem.

Good luck,
    Traden4Alpha

3. Yahoo e-mail accounts, which you can get for free, and are good for just about everything except registering on Elite Trader, have Norton Virus scans included. If you don't already have a virus scan for your e-mail, try opening a Yahoo e-mail, forward these suspicious ones to your Yahoo ID, then scan it.

There's also advice on Yahoo about how to report suspected virus hackers to the ISP of the sender, so they may even get their e-mail shut down. Basically look at whatever the e-mail address of the sender is, and try logging into that e-mail, and you'll likely find who to report that e-mail to (forward the suspicious e-mail to them).

For instance, if the e-mail is from Donna@doodlemail.com, you would go to doodlemail.com to report it.

4. Babak

Babak

...this is a new way for spammers to get your attention and hope that you read and follow the instructions in the email.

although, anyone who does fall for it deserves to have their hard drive formatted.

5. I was saved from spam mail for about 3 years... untill someone sent me a joke taking from a website "... send this joke to your friend..." type of webpage. From that moment on, I get about 2-4 spams/day (still consider lucky).
    I simply ignore them, hoping that their systems crashes and lose my mail address :p
    Most spam mails tell you to '...click here to be removed from our mailing list...', but I don't trust them completely... most of the time, it's a scam to get your email in the first place.
    I guest it's like those commercials on TV or billboards, or worst, telemarketing phone calls.... you just have to live with it.

Cheers!! :)

6. thanks for the <LOL>

got a kick out of your saying that if someone makes a "mistake" or is inattentive one time, then they >deserve< to be screwed over by some criminal element who is seeking to destroy their property! Kind of like saying if a pretty woman wears a slinky black dress, she might deserve to be raped by some scumbag !

Interesting (moral) values?

Take care,

7. to

"babak"

8. Babak

Babak

iceman,

you are totally exaggerating what I said and putting words in my mouth. All I meant is that it (the spam attempt) is a thinly veiled attempt to get you to read/respond to SPAM.

If you aren't smart enough to see the trap.....

9. That is a slippery slope you are walking on.

Can't you see any problems with that philosophy?

10. Foz

Foz

My email address has been spoofed before also (spoofing = spammer forges your email address as the sender address). I got a couple dozen delivery notification errors over the course of a week. And then they stopped and I haven't had any problems since.

I figured if it got too bad the only solution would be to ask my ISP for a new email address.

#10     Jan 20, 2003