Sprint Frame Relay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toonces, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Toonces

Toonces

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030428/cgm008_1.html

I heard frame relay is really stable and good for remote trading. Does this sound like a good alternative for the home trader? The article says it's cheaper than a T-1 line, which I think are upwards of $500/mo. Anyone have frame relay experience?

2. Hi,

A typical T1 line is no faster (download speed) than a 1.5Mbps DSL connection, and no more robust. But, it's a lot more pain to get it set up and operating correctly. Upload speeds aren't as important, because the data going upstream is generally very small blips of information (browser sending requests to a webserver to fetch a web page, email program sending the command to fetch email, etc.) That's why DSL is so popular, fast download speed combined with sufficient upload speed, all on a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) wire, and it's economical from the standpoint of the provider, as well.

Frame Relay can be faster, but you'll pay for it (it's been a while since I've looked at the different 'last mile' solutions, but last time I checked, Frame Relay solutions come in differing speeds for differing needs. The provider can 'throttle' the bandwidth.)

I think the best solution for a home trader with no network or a small network (less than 15 computers) is DSL at 1.5 Mbps. We typically get 1.2 Mbps on our 1.5 Mbps connection, which is still pretty darn quick (our connection isn't slowed down with getting quotes, though, we get those from a cable box). DSL can generally handle around 15 computers on a network without slowing down too much, since not everyone is using the connection all the time. You'll have to figure out how much bandwidth each computer is using, and from there you can figure out how many computers your connection can handle.

If you're running a network, then use one of your older computers that you don't use anymore, put two NICs in it, and hook the DSL modem into one, and the network hub into the other. That way, you can use that computer as the NAT router for the entire network (so you only need one IP address to service the entire network. Why pay the ISP for additional IP addresses, if you don't have to?). You can also use it as the hardware firewall, to protect all the downstream computers (I'd still run software firewalls on the individual computers (ZoneAlarm is good) just to be safe). In addition, if you wanted to get really fancy, you could set it up as your mail server, as well, so you'd only need one copy of Antivirus software running on the NAT router computer to scan incoming and outgoing email.

But, short answer, Frame Relay for a home user/trader is probably overkill. If you're looking for a really robust solution, get DSL and either cable modem or satellite, and hook them in together through one of those 'combining routers'. That way, if one connection goes down, it'll automatically switch over and use the other.

Hope this helps...

3. Toonces

Toonces

Thanks for the reply. I've got DSL and cable (each on different computers) What exactly is a 'combining router'? Never heard of it before. Who makes 'em?

4. one reason: if you're in the wrong state, it may be a felony?

thanks to the continuing efforts of the MPAA, RIAA, and your clueless legislators...

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

http://netsecurity.miningco.com/cs/generalsecurity/a/aa040103a.htm

http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/000129.html

5. This is absolute, quintessential horseshit. My god, how stupid can they get? The MPAA and RIAA can just kiss my ass. I haven't bought a CD in 10 years, nor will I purchase anymore DVD's. I'm sick of this shit -- I've had it.

6. Well, apparently, Globex is down, so I don't have much to do right now, so I'll fire off a quick answer.

A combining router allows you to hook two different internet connections into one box, and it'll automatically use the second connection as a backup if the first goes offline. The more sophisticated ones alternate between the two connections (load sharing, in essence), so you are effectively combining the bandwidth of both connections.

I know Linksys makes one that's pretty good.

7. hear, hear. it seems the overbreadth and enforceablity problems of these laws would really undercut their effectiveness. but then again, a lot of people were betting the DMCA wouldn't pass... in any case, it's an indication of the trend and of the strategy the industry keeps pursuing.

8. Some of what is said is true. But from what I can gather this seems to be for buisness use not personal. In any event the sprint frame relay is the best availible and the redundancy is the key to this. Any points of failure is backed up by numerouse routes in which your traffic will be rerouted through.

If you are a sizable trader and do not try to pinch pennies (which is never wise), this is a great solution. Being cheep has never been considered as being smart in the event that your buisness is mission critical it would be wise to have this service.

IP addresses may be needed due to you possibly being set up with a VPN and all of the best platforms require that you use a VPN. Also do ot ever get a dynamioc service, it will mean that you are sharing with other users in the area and you are not dedicated nor guaranteed a specific amount of band with. also, upload are very important if you are a trader becouse you are constantly uploading info for data.

comp

9. Nexland has a good product for sharing two broadband connections

www.nexland.com

Runningbear

10. eragasa

eragasa

I used to be a network designer so let me give you the low down.

DSL is cool technology, I use it at home. However, I always had a heart attack when customers suggested replacing a T1 or Frame Relay circuit with a DSL line. The main reasons:

(1) you have no guarantees of service on DSL. so if you're in the middle of the trading day, and there is a BGP broadcast storm because some Chinese ISP decided to pull out of an Internet NAP, you're pretty much screwed. In addition, other things can go wrong: the Dynamic IP address server shit the bed, whatever.

(2) DSL is less secure than T1 or Frame Relay (Frame Relay is the most secure). Depending on your security requirements you should pony up for some type of a firewall.

(3) Doing backup connections with DSL/Cable Modem really sucks.

I'd recommend getting a frame relay feed to your place if you can afford it. Don't bother doing it yourself, get a network consultant to do it for you (it should take him a total of four hours maximum - $150/hr). Go for quality equipment.

If you can't afford it, well roll the dice. I have DSL at home, and I would never consider it reliable enough to trade with. I've had three 24 hr+ outages. This take of reliability is horrendous for mission critical stuff. Demand 99.999% reliability (that's a total 5 minutes of downtime). Get an SLA (service level agreement demanding it). The smallest I would go on an SLA is 99.995%.

#10     May 19, 2003