Spring forward soon...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BA_Trader, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Hi all

I live on the west coast and I trade the US markets - therefore the trading day
    starts around 6:30am for me. My preference is to be up at 6:00 --have some
    breakfast and be alert and ready to go once the day kicks off.

My problem is that I have always been a night person. I've done well to work
    my clock backwards over the past couple of years as a trader... but it feels
    like a constant struggle to hit that 6:00 am mark -- usually I'm snoozing
    until 6:23 and then rushing into my trading room on an empty stomach.

With daylight savings time coming up soon -- I'm wondering if anyone (especially
    west coast traders) has any effective strategies for dealing with this issue.

JT

2. rwk

rwk

Trade more size -- then you won't sleep a wink.:D

3. Take trazadone(prescription medication) after supper and you will sleep like a log and get up early with plenty of energy. No side effects. Works great for me.

4. Hi BA_Trader,

I'm assuming you mean your up late pass ed midnight...

If so...whatever activities your doing around that time...

Stop.

At least change your routine to calmer things.

I was the same way when I had lived in the NorthWest...full of energy and bright eye at midnight...

So I started doing simple meditation and relaxing techniques around 10pm est...

Soon I was in bed no later than 11pm est.

NihabaAshi

5. I had the same problem when I was in CA. During the week I really had problems going to bed for 11pm. On the weekend, any night out would mess up my rythm and it was very difficult to get up for the open on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday well and Thursday too . What I would do now especially since I like to trade FX, is getting up around midnight and stay up until 4 pm at which time I would go to bed. Getting up at midnight still allows you to go out at night and pick up the drunk bimbos at last call (which is one reason among others to live in CA)

6. Move east at least a couple of time zones. :D

7. good advice

I've done something along these lines and it was basically effective
    for me. It does require a fair amount of discipline - particularly when you
    are in a social situation "9:30 pm: sorry I have to go home and go
    nigh-nigh now"

Not sure if I'm quite ready to use the meds... I guess I'll keep going this
    route until I can move eastward.

JT