Spreadsheet Backtesting

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by kut2k2, Jun 4, 2005.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

Thank you, mschey. I see I was wrong from the link Vince posted and I apologize to you. Thanks for your input :)

#11     Jun 5, 2005
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Hi, mmillar

If I get your meaning, I can't use EOD analysis for intra-day trading. I agree. Fortunately I am using EOD analysis for EOD trading. I am trying to get the edge up to the point where I can trade larger than 2% without detrimental risk, but that is another matter for another thread.

Here, I am just trying to get the overall backtest structure figured out. For example, if I get stopped out the same day I enter a trade, that doesn't even register in my "trade position" column. The position column is vital to calculate my trade count, which in turn is vital to calculate my equity. So if you or AusTrader or anyone else can provide a work-around for registering "instant" trades (in and out on the same day), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#12     Jun 5, 2005
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

Q1 "Assuming a next-day market entry after a buy signal is generated, should I assume the average fill will be, say, one-third of (O + H + L)?"
    Answered. Thanks again to mschey and Vince1.

Q2 "Assuming I can enter a trailing stop at the same time I enter my buy order, should I assume the stop gets [filled] on average at, say, half of (stop + L)?"
    Answered.

Q3 "Is there an extra charge for updating the trailing stop on a daily basis, or is there a fixed roundtrip brokerage fee per trade?"
    Unanswered.

Q4 "... a work-around for registering "instant" trades (in and out on the same day)"
    Answered.

Will someone answer Q3 above please? Thanks in advance.

#13     Jun 6, 2005
  4. AusTrader

AusTrader

Q3: No.

#14     Jun 6, 2005
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

'No' to which part of my (sorry) compound question? :confused:

#15     Jun 6, 2005