spread trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by druz1, Jul 23, 2002.

1. bone

bone

There's good money to be had spread trading futures. I'm referring to ALL futures - softs, metals, energies, equities, and capital markets. The available leverage, liquidity, and relatively low transaction costs makes spread trading profitability viable with futures. Even if you're not a market-maker. It's just not well understood by many folks off the floor or away from fund/portfolio management, dealing desks, and commercial activities.

#21     Aug 17, 2002
  2. rs7

rs7

But it is simple to learn for anyone interested. Just get ahold of series #3 study materials. Especially if you understand option trading. It is really not complicated. .....hell, just watch "Trading Places" :)

RS7

#22     Aug 17, 2002
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM

In that particular movie Valentine did not need anything, including series #3 materials. He just knew what market was doing :)
    Funny story, however some people really believe this is possible :D

#23     Aug 18, 2002
  4. bone

bone

I don't recall those guys spreading anything with respect to FCOJ futures. They just speculated on flat price. Poor analogy.

#24     Aug 18, 2002
  5. rs7

rs7

Bone..........It was a joke!!!!!!

:)

rs7

#25     Aug 18, 2002
  6. bone

bone

Spreads are great. I make a living at it. Every day. Three kids, wife, house on the North Shore, all that crap. Swear to God. Used to be an Engineer in the Loop. Started trading futures spreads.

Spreads, especially in the futures market, are truly underestimated for consistent profitability.

I submit for your consideration a few select spreads. I like the way they trend, I like the fundamentals, I like the technicals, I like the fact that they have purpose - in other words, big commercials HAVE to do them... :

1) Eurex Schatz / Eurex Bund; Ratio 4:1

2) Nymex Aug. '02/ Aug. '03 Crude; Ratio 1:1

3) CME Sept. '02 S&P / Eurex DJ EuroStoxx 50 Sept. '02; Try a Ratio of 1:1, but not quite certain

4) CBOT Sept. '02 TY Note / Eurex Sept. '02 Bund; Ratio 1.1:1

5) CBOT Sept. '02 Five Year Note / Ten Year Note; Ratio 1.6:1

Pure Sweetness.

#26     Aug 18, 2002
  7. rcreal

rcreal

Bone -

Can you provide any good resources (books, websites, software, movies :) ) where one can learn more about this?

Thanks.

#27     Aug 18, 2002
  8. bone

bone

There's another thread going on right now where everybody's taking a giant piss all over Bloomberg. Who do you think supports Bloomberg?

#28     Aug 18, 2002
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Bone, those were a couple of truly great, great posts!!!

#29     Aug 18, 2002
  10. Bone, when you talk about futures spreads are you talking about putting them on and holding them for more than intraday?

I was on the floor in NYBOT and I remember an awful lot of traders who traded intermonth spreads -Long jul crude vs. Oct heating oil, long sept sugar against dec sugar. These traders seems to do great for 1-3 years then give it all back in 1 week because the market gods seem to coax these traders to have their biggest positions at the point when the spreads stopped reverting to the mean. The guy I clerked for 14 years ago at the Merc made and LOST fortunes 4 times in an 8 year period. Can these spreads be traded intra day so that scenario I described not happen?

Thanks and continued success in your spreads.

#30     Aug 19, 2002