Spread Trading

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by wavetrader, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Markus

Markus

wavetrader,

Usually I want to see a daily volume of 1,000 or more contracts in each underlying futures contract. Let's take an example from Thursday, May 1. I took the volume information from the CBOT website (see attached picture).

Though September Soybeans have a volume of 1,413 contracts, I would not trade them. In comparison to 55,409 contracts in the frontmonths they appear too illiquid for me.

So there are just 3 months left:
    - SN3 (July Soybeans)
    - SQ3 (August Soybeans) and
    - SX3 (November Soybeans).

Now you can start charting the spreads:
    1.) SN3-SQ3
    2.) SN3-SX3 and
    3.) SQ3-SX3

Actually I would not enter any of these spreads, but I hope that this example answers your question. I apply the same principle to all other markets I am watching (e.g. meats, grains, financials, ...).

When I see a nice chart formation on these spreads, I check the seasonality. If I get a confirming signal: great. But for me it's not a must. I just want to be sure that I am not entering a spread against its seasonality, if there is any.

Does that make sense to you?

Markus

#11     May 3, 2003
  2. rrs456

rrs456

Markus,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply to my questions. I most certainly appreciate your help.

Rama.

#12     May 4, 2003
  3. Hi Wavetrader,

I looked at the NOB spread today after the close and it looks like a potential opportunity to sell the the NOB on 5/6/03 if it trades below -35.00 I have attached a chart for your review.

#13     May 5, 2003
  4. Here is another interesting spread chart. It demonstrates the concept of entering a spread at a support level that has held in the past. This will be the second time this spread has traded down to this level. Will it hold, time will tell.

Backw.

#14     May 5, 2003
  5. Beans's bottom is not due for a few Moore days.
    [​IMG]

#15     May 6, 2003
  6. Markus

Markus

Backwardation, GoldTrader,

just for fun: I am holding the other side of the bet :)

I will enter SX3-SN3 if it closes above -69.0 tomorrow (05/07/03).

Markus

#16     May 6, 2003

7. Markus,

If it breaks above -69.00 I am with you.

Backw.

#17     May 7, 2003
  8. Markus

Markus

Backwardation,

good choice! :)

Did you take the spread?

The support level was at 69.25. The spread closed at 76.5 today (see attached picture). That's a nice profit of $362.50 in just 4 days.

The margin for the spread is $473, i.e. you would have made 76% based on your margin. Very nice :)

I must admit that I did not trade it, because I prefer trading in trending markets.

Have a great weekend,

Markus

#18     May 9, 2003
  9. Hi Markus,

In all honesty I missed this entry, but I would have entered at around 72.00. When I look at this type of trade. I like to see it bounce off support before I enter and based on Friday's price action you could have of covered your costs in the trade and made some profit with part of the position still working. That's what I consider to be some good trading. :)

regards,
    Backwardation

#19     May 10, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

I would not want to pick which way it goes. Therefore, why not just buy the straddle, or a ratio strangle with the more aggressive side whatever you think is more likely? I agree it is less profitable, but it takes a far more defensive stance.

nitro

#20     May 10, 2003