spread trading platform

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by savcty, Dec 13, 2009.

1. savcty

savcty

Any brokers out there that have exceptional spreadtrading platform that is free with low trade commissions?

2. dmq

dmq

Expensive, but if you can afford it, it's worth it.

3. And what is it that is expensive but worth it? Or is it a secret?

4. savcty

savcty

Good Question Plus Minus!

I am currently able to use a platform that takes orders to put on an intra-spread, Ex. buy July Sobean and sell November wheat 2010 and the exhange margins for spread are observed on trade platform for spread. But if I want to place an inter-spread such as buy march minneapolis wheat and sell Chicago march wheat it will then have to be placed at different times on seperate orders. The exchanges require thus a lower margin on this spread but the platform does not recognize this thus requiring full margin on each commodity and does not recognize this as a spread. I hope this makes my question more clear.

Thanks

5. savcty

savcty

SORRY, Had to re-write post,

Good Question Plus Minus!

I am currently able to use a platform that takes orders to put on an intra-spread, Ex. buy July SOYBEAN and sell November SOYBEAN 2010 and the exhange margins for spread are observed on trade platform for spread. But if I want to place an inter-spread such as buy march minneapolis wheat and sell Chicago march wheat it will then have to be placed at different times on seperate orders. The exchanges require thus a lower margin on this spread but the platform does not recognize this thus requiring full margin on each commodity and does not recognize this as a spread. I hope this makes my question more clear.

Thanks

6. I understand your problem and your original post. My post was to the other poster who alluded to a solution but didn't name the actual software.

7. Isn't the problem you describe one that is outside the bounds of the app you're using? The margin "discounts" for spreads are set by the exchanges. If you go inter-exchange, those discounts will be fewer (if at all?). What is the software supposed to do about this? Unless I'm mistaken this is outside the control of you, your software, or your broker. It's the exchange that's relaxing the margin requirements because they recognize the reduced risk in the particular spread you trade, and often will even have special tickers for this.

I'm no spread expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. dmq

dmq

To correct my own apparent error...

I thought I said TT PRO.

Mea culpa.