Spread Trading - an easier way to trade!

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Joe Ross, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Surprised he hasn't posted a link to his "service" yet. Must be getting enough action from the PM's he's getting. :p

#21     Jul 16, 2004
  2. Anyone having any direct contact or training with Joe care to enlighten us with real comments on his courses!!!

I'm interested in spreads but as a previous poster stated .. they seem like a longterm hold for any real returns and I need income at the end of every month.

:)

#22     Jul 16, 2004
  3. To the best of my knowledge the concept for variation margin is the same for spreads as it is for futures. However, I’m not at all familiar with the procedures at CFE.

Ciao,

JR

#23     Jul 17, 2004
  4. Joe you didn't answer my question on the average lenght of time it takes to profit from a spread ?

Could you also comment on the number of trades you do per month please.

#24     Jul 17, 2004
  5. ig0r

ig0r

Futures spreads (I'm not talking about scalping intraday, that's a different game) usually take a few months to play out. If you want to have a constant flow of capital, just put on more spreads in different products.

#25     Jul 18, 2004
  6. dinn13

dinn13

Esignal is great for watching spreads cause you can just type in the a spread like " 5GE U4 - 3ZQ U4" and you'll see the 5:3 eurodollar-fed funds spread. I have the EOD version of esignal cause too expensive for me to pay all the exchange fees since i watch quite a few different spreads like energy spreads and between different exchanges. Like the NYMEX crude oil and IPE brent crude oil spread. Just too much for me to pay for real-time service.

CBOT webpage has some good articles on trading spreads:

Fed Funds Futures Calendar Spread
    I trade calendar spreads every once in a while on the fed funds, trade might last a week to three and only goes for a few ticks. Same concepts in this article apply to eurodollar calendar spreads.
    Benefits for Fed Fund—Eurodollar Spread Trades
    Been watching it but have yet to trade it.

I personally never really plan on trading these:
    A German - U.S. Yield Spread Trade
    Trading the TUT Spread: Capitalizing on Changes in Yield Curve
    Trading 10-Year Term TED Spreads
    The 5-Year Term TED Spread
    Trading the Cattle and Hog Crush Spreads

#26     Jul 18, 2004
  7. ========================

Hi Samson,

You are asking a question I cannot truthfully answer. How long it takes depends upon the spreads you choose to take. I am extremely selective in choosing my spread entries. Last year I made only 12 spread entries. All of them were winners and the average time I was in them was on the order of 2 months. What it would be for other traders I have no idea. The 2 month average reflects sometimes being in for only a few days, having to exit and then getting back in.

JR

#27     Jul 18, 2004
  8. ===================================

Alaikum salam, Mo

I very much like futures spreads over option spreads primarily because of the currently available information with regard to them. A futures spread is easier to work with as well. Option spreads tend to get complicated because for the most part, they ignore the what is known about the underlying.

Regards,

JR

#28     Jul 18, 2004
  9. Mohammedakram,

here is a corn spread I am currently in:

#29     Jul 18, 2004
  10. Nice trade Joe...

If I buy your book on seasonal spreads will I understand the trades enough to impletment them succesfully?

#30     Jul 18, 2004