Spread the Wealth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wjk, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TGregg

TGregg

I was there when this happened to one lib. He had been (among other things) a dancer. Through a lot of hard work, he managed to become a software consultant. Writing code in MS Acces, but still a lot better off than previous jobs. Then he got his first paycheck.

He was shocked. His gross would have been around 4 grand, so he'd be out about $1300 being single. When you buy a new car for the government every year and they still rack up trillion dollar deficeits - you grow to hate taxes.

#11     Oct 14, 2008
    #12     Oct 14, 2008
    #13     Oct 14, 2008

4. Which tax bracket?

And what don't I get?

formulate your ideas cohesively and then tell me where you think Im wrong.

#14     Oct 14, 2008

5. You don't get the fact that I'd owe nothing. It's called an unrealized gain. You can raise capital gains to 80% and you know what? Unless Buffet or Gates sell stock their tax bill is nada. You're whole notion of higher taxes grabbing a piece of the idle rich is ridiculously flawed.

#15     Oct 14, 2008
  6. Well I assumed you were going to sell the stock. Anyways, your point is that by raising tax rates on higher income earner, absolutely nothing will happen?

#16     Oct 14, 2008
    #17     Oct 14, 2008
  8. wjk

wjk

I agree it is easier for someone who makes over 250k to deal with higher taxes. I dispute the claims there are no taxes paid by those under a certain level, however. Prior to trading, I started a small business and contracted out my services and hired subcontractors. My best year I netted about 26k after tax and write offs. I paid tax because I was self employed, as many tradesman are, even though my income was miniscule. Did I miss a loophole somewhere?

I support a flat tax or consumption tax. There is absolutely nothing unfair about everyone paying the same percentage. Add to that, I simply don't believe the democrats on the current tax promises.

#18     Oct 14, 2008
    #19     Oct 14, 2008
  10. wjk

wjk

My wife was my accountant. Are you saying I could have avoided self employment tax on profit? 18% or so.

Guess I could have faked some deductions, right?

#20     Oct 14, 2008