Spread Charting

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by -ooO-(GoldTrade, May 4, 2003.

1. H2O

H2O

Calculations are wrong !!!

Use Line charts, The only correct points when calculating spreads are the open and the close because the happen at the same time.

The only way to build candles (OHLC) if to use tick data to build the candle.....

I have not found a charting package that will do this.

#11     Sep 3, 2004
  2. rp10029

rp10029

I think the old AT Financial now Thompson does intraday data spread charting. bridge also does.

maybe I'm just confused, but I've had intraday spread charting for these products for years. ratio adjustable the whole 9

#12     Nov 4, 2004
  3. You can use TnT with the spread plugin, (plus they also have COT plug in and SEAS forcast. See this example...

#13     Nov 4, 2004
  4. E R

E R

Hi all,

I think the MRCI site is great. I also ran across this other site--it's scarrtrading.com (I don't know if it's allowed to post the link here).

First, I am NOT affiliated with this site, and NOT a vendor. I just want some advice on whether this seems worth it--seems to be rather good programming and offers a lot of flexibility in charts that I haven't seen anywhere else.

What opinion do you have about this software (especially being used for eurodollar spread plays)?

Thanks!

#14     Dec 22, 2004
  5. Track N Trade is very decent for charting. I am not sure if this is what you are asking. for executions I use Vision's
    software and it does spreads well.
    Vision Express - it is FREE

#15     Dec 22, 2004

6. Spread Trading Books É
    Mr. RossÕs book on Òtrading spreads and seasonals,Ó has no equal. Particularly of interest is his ÒHow to read close only chart patterns.Ó You have to know how to do it, and as far as I know there is no better teacher still living. I am not sure if it is even explained anywhere else.

Eventually you are going to have to cover all the material, JoeÕs might as well be next. Jake Bernstein is good of course, anything by Steve Moore.
    Ross left a pretty good trail É search on ÒJoe Ross articleÓ at misc.invest.futures.
    While you are awaiting the arrival of Ross, why not refresh yourself with Jesse Livermore É
    In the early days we had these big giant computers that users could access by terminals from around the world. There was a transitional period where we compromised on what could be done and people carried around their own programs and got there own data. Care and maintenance of data was very time consuming. Garbage in garbage out. A lot of the settlement prices are not actual trades anyway. So many traders have blamed bad trades on computer failure, when there is really no excuse for it.

Today I can walk into an Internet cafŽ or public library, anywhere in the world and in less than their minimum time, I can see what happened and place my trades for the next day. Any Internet access anywhere.

TradeStation is a magnificent platform it evolved out of the end-of-day ÒSuperCharts,Ó which was the best there ever was. You can use TradeStation to study the relative strengths of oscillators and test long-term theories when you are developing a system. But its probably overkill on a portfolio of spreads. In olden times traders always had some spreads that they would keep unused capital resting in. We just found that the Òreturn on margin,Ó often exceed what we were getting on our naked trades. When Moore isolated the seasonal patterns for the exchanges it became a no brainier. Trade Spreads!
    See ÒSpread Trading charts.Ó I prefer the freedom of being 100% online. As long as you can read charts it does not matter what you use. If you like it use it. Costs in time and capital are always a factor.
    See É Spread Trading: How to

#16     Mar 19, 2005
  7. Spread chart

#17     Mar 19, 2005
  8. And how long you keep your nose to the stone.

#18     Mar 20, 2005
  9. I wanted to look at the spread between
    XAU vs. Gold futures. Most of the free spread charting I've been using (futuresource, Brite) can't do these charts, only spreads between commodities. I'd really like the capability to chart ETF's and Indices vs. futures. Anyone know of a charting software that does, preferably something free while I learn about this technique?

Also, in general, options vs. future contracts, what are the pro's & cons when entering a spread?

Thanks!

#19     Feb 2, 2006
  10. I'm also looking for a good way to spread Oil products vs. crude, and also the 2-10 'TUT' spread. Most interested in suggestions.

#20     Feb 3, 2006